Best Bino's your opinion

I say the 10x42 EL range..... I also live in AZ and use Swaro 10's, 15's and spotter but the 15's and are heavy so if I had it to do over again I would do the 10x42 EL Range and the spotter.

I don't think you'll beat Leica. 20 years ago when I bought my first pair Leica was way ahead of Swarovski in clarity and light gathering. Today they are closer but to me the Leica's are still better. Small things like spotting things at first light and dawn are what set them apart from each other.

I looked through some Swar 10x50 EL's today. That was a mistake they made my old Binoculars that I really liked look way old and just plain boring. I will be doing a lot more looking before I buy but either way is either the Swar or the Licas . I was surprised that there was not that much difference in wt between the 42's and the 50's
Hey, I carry a 9lb rifle around all day ................so whats 35 oz's

nothing beat watching a really nice buck through some really nice binoculars....................its what the hunt is all about seeing them first.

Without question the best optics would go to the Swarovski Els. Mine are 10X42...Very very good.
I also have a pair of 10X42 Trinovids..They aren't quite as good optically, but I think if I had to fall on or drop a pair of binos the Leicas would come out on top of the Els every time.

Good point Greg.

OTHER THAN $$$......what can a person have to say thats bad about the Leica's???
ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! BEST CLARITY GLASS OUT THERE.. I HAVE BOTH SWARO EL AND LEICA ULTRAVID.. SPENDING HOURS BEHIND THE GLASSES LIKE I DO GUIDING HUNTERS, ONLY THE BEST WILL DO!!! THE TWO ARE VERY CLOSE BUT LOOKING THROUGH PICKING OUT DETAIL, LEICA HAS THE CLEAR EDGE!!!!ABSOLUTLEY NO EYE FATIGUE, AND THAT IS ALOT ON A HIGHCOUNTRY BACKPACK HUNT WHERE YOU MAY GLASS ONE SMALL BASIN FOR A COUPLE HOURS..gun)

I see you live in the west, IMO all the discussion is mostly mute because no one is saying to get binocular with a built in RF unit!!!! I cannot begin to tell you how much better your hunting will be when you have the range under you finger at all times. I don't care that the glass on the RF units isn't as good as the non RF binoculars. sometimes you only have seconds to make a shot animals normally don't just stand around waiting to get shot. When I hunt I pretty much need to have a range on the animal just about all the time. with my leicas I am not fumbling around digging a seperate RF unit out then refinding the animal through a tiny monocular which seperate RF units have and getting a range that way. its basically is the animal big enough for me to shoot perhaps I am already ranging it while deciding, done. I have a buddy at first light last year that shot a 190 class buck over 30" and he will tell you right now the leicas made it happen, a split second longer and the buck would have bolted and he could not have shot with his bow. NO ONE THAT HAS HUNTED WITH A BINOCULAR THAT HAS RF BUILT IN WILL EVER GO BACK!!!!

so in my mind you have 3 choices, zeiss, leica, swaro RF binocular units. leica currently has probably the lowest glass, zeiss a little bulky and a tad short on eye relief for me, if I were buying I would wait for the new leicas split bridge model. if I had to buy now it would be swaro.

I looked throgh many units before my purchase. (I did not see Leica) I purchased a pair of Swaro 10 x 42 SLC and have no regrets. You owe it to yourself to personally look through as many units as possile as diffrent eyes do perceive things differently.

This really boils down to personal preference. Everybody's eyes are different and what is the clearest and brightest to one isn't so much to the next. That said, my eyes prefer the Swarovski ELs. Hands down. I know many others that feel the same. My eyes like them better than any Leica or Zeiss models. They're brighter, clearer, sharper and crisper to me.

If you wear eyeglasses, also consider the eye relief of the optics. Lower power often has more eye relief, and can provide less noticeable shake.

I must say the 10x42s seem to be the most popular, but give me a 7 or 8 power set of bins. On top of that, I'll take them in a smaller and lighter 32mm objective. I have a set of Swarovski 7x42 SLCs and a Zeiss Victory FL 8x32. The Zeiss has good eye relief for a compact binocular, MUCH lighter to carry, great optics, good lowlight capability, and very good balance in the hand.

I almost never carry the heavier 7x42s anymore, because you almost forget the 8x32s are there!

TKAB

At one time I had the Ziess 10x40,el10x42 and el 10x32.I had 10x42 on tripod and rested others on at dusk and my eyes could hardley tell difference.I pack the el 10x32 because I love size and optic.

Leica Ultravid's 10x42. I think to me anyhow are clearer and better in low light than the EL's. What convinced me to buy Leica was the 3 different sheep outfitters traded their EL's in the Ultravid's while at the annual Sportsmans show.

bought a pair of 10x42 meopta meostar HD recently. love em. perfect magnification for where i hunt and theyre built like a tank. was able to pick em up for a couple hundred less than retail price. ony thing i dont like is the flimsy objective covers

looked through a pair of Swarovski 10x50Els......................a tad bit heavyer than the 10x42's but I usually end up in the mornings and evenings glassing at some advantage point ............and my rifle is a lot heavyer than the Binoculars and I dont compain to much about that ...................I still end up using the Binoculars 99% more than my rifle on any hunt ..............unless of course I miss the first four shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.