Best SA Receiver and Why???

That's the way I see it too. Hard to beat a 700 for severe duty. Military would have got rid of them a long time ago if they were a problem. I think the most bombproof factory action you can buy is a howa. One piece bolt you can not break. M-16 extractor. Solid built in front lug. They are very straight from the factory. Just convert to 8-40 mounting screws and it would be a beast. Just wish they had a 16 pitch tennon.
Shep

They are just the right price to.. with a little TLC it might be just the bomb for a workhorse 6.5..
I have been looking a little at the new Terminus Zeus actions but, I really don't know that much about them as they are very new...

I watched a video about some guys hunting out in the desert and the defiance was having a hard time cycling the bolt after getting really dirty and dusty, but the ole Remington was doing fine.. So my take away was, that for hunting some of the really tight tolerance actions may not be the best … They would be really good for target and competition but maybe not for in the field so much...??
To lock up an action takes some work, I've never got it done hunting that's for sure. The Borden can be ordered with different diameter bolts and the bolt is harder than most and the only one I know of that is stress relived then ground so it straight and runs great. Many time even in custom actions the bolts aren't quite straight and that's where binding starts.

When I have questions like this I like to look and see what the pros use as that will give you a general idea of what works and what doesn't. Then you can fine tune things from there based on your own situation and requirements.

You mentioned the Terminus Zeus above and that action was originally designed by Joel for Curtis Customs (4th on the list below) as the Vector and Joel has since taken the design under his own Terminus brand and improved it even further under the Zeus name. I have one sitting on my bench and it's an amazing action. Its chassis is in the mail and I'm still saving for the barrel so I haven't shot it yet however.

Any of these top companies actions will serve you well so just pick which one has the features you like most. I chose the Zeus for the quick change barrel feature, and several other design features.
82708EAA-8636-49B2-A9BD-17DAF148E48E.jpeg

Defiance are what I'm currently liking. Have two recent builds on them and like them a lot. I will also say that Stiller actions are good for the price! A little looser fit but they function great for what I have used them for.

Can only speak about the bighorn I have, not knocking anything else in anyway. If you decide on a bighorn for some reason they are nice actions with the ability to switch bolt heads. I've come to really like the controlled feed design and the action seems well built. I've never checked or had the tolerances checked on it tho so maybe others can chime in on why it isn't more popular in this thread.

Looking to build a SA in 6.5 caliber and want to know your thoughts on what action is best for the job? It will be a hunting/range steel banger. I would appreciate any info to be factual and not just because I like this... Pro's vs Con's etc .. Budget is 1400 and I want the action melonited or DLC of some sort.. Thanks in advance
If you could look into Cadex

I ve got Rem and Howa, no customs. Have one Barrett Fieldcraft and the one thing I like about it is it ll handle 3" loaded shells. Someone else mentioned availability of different lengths.

If you re doing a 6.5 something but high BC bullets your cartridge length for the action could be a consideration unless you custom reamer a very short threat which robs case capacity.

Good luck!

Looking to build a SA in 6.5 caliber and want to know your thoughts on what action is best for the job? It will be a hunting/range steel banger. I would appreciate any info to be factual and not just because I like this... Pro's vs Con's etc .. Budget is 1400 and I want the action melonited or DLC of some sort.. Thanks in advance
Surgeon... They are made of chromoly, integral rail, integral lug, anti bind rail, one piece bolt with integral handle, available with Remington style and M16 style extractors. They have the correct clearance for any finish you want including Cerakote.

The action on my want list is the terminus Zeus. I like the 60 deg. The smoothed out cocking mechanism and the hand tighten with set screw barrels. I would love to get 3 bolts 3 barrels and 2 stocks and cover all my shooting needs with one action and scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.