What 4wheeler do you use and why?

Outlaw, spectacular scenery! Looks like the Kingquad is earning its keep. Great pictures. Thanks.

Hoovertx4, one of the guys I used to hunt with has a Rubicon 500. I never know of him doing any maintenance on it, but it was still running the last I know of.

Liked your post. Brevity works! I've got to try it sometime.....

Good thread, good replies.

Tom

Outlaw, spectacular scenery! Looks like the Kingquad is earning its keep. Great pictures. Thanks.

Good thread, good replies.

Tom

That pic with the two quads in the deep snow was a long day. That pic was taken at about hour 5 of our 6-8 mile ride into camp, that says a little about how the travel was fairing :D That little trailer had a flat tire about 5 miles into it, we did the normal tire change in 12" of snow (three guys rolled it onto it's side...full). The tire change tech (for lack of a better term) working in a frenzy, put the spare on backwards & upon torquing the lug nuts, sheared the valve stem off.lightbulb So, he made it another mile before the tire was gone & the rim was ruined. We left the trailer on the trail side, made it the rest of the way to camp & a buddy & I returned to retreive the wagon. He ran his winch line over his grill guard & back down to the spindle area of the axle & picked up that side of the wagon. We essentially went into camp like a rail road train, which actually worked better that I ever could have guessed. When I started to get stuck plowing snow, he was able to push from the rear. When he spun out in the ruts, I had enough momentum to pull him out.

We built those trailers for every member in our group except one. They are a godsend (& usually overloaded:rolleyes:)

Here's a tailgate shot of one of our more fancy rigs. Tailgate, side boards & floor are all tongue & groove :D, Hinged tailgates, enclosed box in front to hold 4-1.5 gallon fuel can.

Attachments

• Hunting 2011 010.jpg
    Hunting 2011 010.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 23
I hardly ever see a Ute pulling a trailer. They can haul just about anything you need to. There is a limit to how much crap you can pile on an Atv though, and a trailer is really handy when you're working it. My brothers and I built 2 small lease trailers in 1995, and they still get used almost every trip for hauling corn, moving feeders, rustling up firewood, etc. One of my redneck son-in-laws built a seat for my grandaughter when she was 6 yrs old that ties down on my trailer, and all 3 of them go hunting together. My daughter and son-in-law on the 4-wheeler, and my little grandaughter on the trailer, happier than a clam at high tide. It's a sight to warm an old man's heart.

Tom

The UTV's share mixed emotions where we elk hunt. Thus far, I've pulled two Polaris Rangers off the mountain with toasted transmissions. One was a six wheeler & I can't comment on how/why cause I don't know. The other was a standard sidexside Ranger & Severely overloaded in over 12"of snow- driver error. I did use our Rhino for a year & pulled a trailer up the hill, low gear & 4wd. Be nice to it & you are fine. The one downside is ground clearance, I had to replace the driver's side floor board after putting a rock through it. That will scare the snot out of you!

I built my ATV trailer with the 44" max width requirement in the national forest in mind.

I understand that they can be wider now but I would check just to make sure if anyone
is going to build one.

The first configuration Used the 8"x8'' tires used on the pop up trailers. they worked great
but if I lowered the air pressure to less than 15 pounds they couldn't keep the bead seal and
would go flat. (The reason for low air pressure is the sharp rocks where we hunt will cut the
tires if the inflation is very much.

I also used 2500 pound capacity springs to Carry around 1200 pounds of corn and empty it was
like it had no springs.

So to correct this, I modified a set of hubs to fit a Honda ATV rim and the big ATV tires have
solved all of the problems and goes through Mud and snow much better and I can still place
25- 50pound bags of corn in the trailer without over loading it.

I use it for hauling everything including 3 or 4 hunters if nessary and it doesn't beat them up
like it did with the regular tires and it will Carry all of the goose decoys you can use through the
marsh or flooded rice fields with little effort.

The big ATV tires just fit under the trailer without having to use fenders that can get damaged
going through tight places.

I jokingly call it the "Swamp Thing" but I would not do without it.

J E CUSTOM

We are running the 8" wheels on ours with innertubes, measurement from fender to fender measures right at 46" which gives us a 4" tolerance. Bed sze is 36"x 60" we use 1200lb springs (ea) & 20" side boards.

I completely agree that w/o a load in the bed they don't ride very well :cool: & as you said I don't know how we ever lived without them.:D

I finally made my decision. Found a good deal on an 03 honda foreman with 600 hours. So itll be hauling a lot of bait!

1903? Honda? Really? I'm glad you bought your lady a four wheeler, when are you going to get one? :D

lol, Sorry Mike, I had to poke fun. Hope it treats you well.

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.