What kind of Sling do you use?

jbur13

What is your favorite rifle sling and why?
Do you carry over the shoulder? In front? In a backpack? At the ready? OR no sling?
I am looking for something that can allow me to shoot quickly and be comfy with a 10lb rifle.
I hunt everything from Elk and Deer to Wolves and do a lot of walking.

Everyone has their own system. But I have learned that you need multiple options while mountain hunting. I use a sling and have a method of strapping to my back-pack. I use the traditional rifle sling when I need the rifle at the ready and strap the rifle to my pack with a backpack rifle holder when I need to focus on climbing / depending / crossing high water - etc. I also like extend my sling quickly to pull it over my head if I need to move quickly but also need both hands - side hilling in the snow.

Depending on your rifle, body size, some slings will work and other don't. My suggestion is to buy a couple slings that claim to be slip resistant - try them at home, sending back the ones that don't work for you. In terms of pack rifle holders - there are a few that work well - gun bearer and others. You can just strap your rifle to the pack but the barrel tends to stick up and catch on trees and such. The system that allow you to hold the stock several inches below the pack work well. I do not like the barrel in front of my face thus I strap these on the side or back of my pack.

Bottom line is to mess with these inside this winter - then practice outside on the hill in Spring looking for sheds.

I use the Padded Super Sling on rifles. How I carry varies with terrain and conditions. It is no good for chest carry but its not for carrying an AR or other chassis with extended magazine. Over the right shoulder, I can swing the rifle into shooting position in about 1 second.

When I hear these sling threads, I think:

My dads favorite sling:
For standard sling carry without a pack, this is a pretty sweet sling.

I carry on my front. I also want to shoot with the sling. I have used several models. Now I like this best:

but if I had a pack, and mostly want to carry, I would consider:

Thank you guys for the recommendations!
I've been using the Safari Sling for years and the only thing I like about it is that I can deploy my rifle instantly.
Here's what it is: Amazon product ASIN B07CQKQQ83It's been great and it allows for quick shooting, since it's in front, but its a pain when walking. Always wants to swing and also, when climbing is no good because it's in front.

I'm leaning toward something like this though:
I carry on my front. I also want to shoot with the sling. I have used several models. Now I like this best:
So far the Armageddon looks appealing. I have a new rifle with the QD attachments like in the pictures. It might work well for me.
Thank you all for the recommendations!!

I came across an interesting sling a while back, and can not remember the name of it.
The sling at the forearm attachment was forked in two, and attached to the front swivel from above the barrel. The idea was you carry the rifle slung in front of you, scope up or underneath your arm.
Anybody know the name of that?

I came across an interesting sling a while back, and can not remember the name of it.
The sling at the forearm attachment was forked in two, and attached to the front swivel from above the barrel. The idea was you carry the rifle slung in front of you, scope up or underneath your arm.
Anybody know the name of that?
Yes, That sounds like what I have now. It's called Safari Sling and made by boonie packer out of Australia. They are nice for quick shooting since the rifle is in front. But.. You have to be super careful when walking with other hunters and I would recommend an empty chamber if that's what you're doing. The problem with this sling is that you cannot easily carry it in any position other than in front. You cant carry it over your shoulder because it's so long. They have an adjustment but it's not easily adjustable. If it had adjustability for shortening the length, then I would not look further. You can not easily walk up steep hillsides in the snow with the rifle in front of you. It's also hard to put it over your back and climb into tree stands. I guess it needs to be more versatile.
I was able to take a mountain lion that was too close for comfort, simply because the rifle was at the ready. If I had not had it at the ready, who knows what would have happened. So, in short, Yeah I like that sling. it's just an old design and needs improving to fit a wide spectrum of hunting that I do.

I tried to attach an amazon link yesterday but it got booted of the platform.
Here is another link:

The best. Adjustable, easy to "wrap yourself in". Very sturdy.

Thank you guys for the recommendations!
I've been using the Safari Sling for years and the only thing I like about it is that I can deploy my rifle instantly.
Here's what it is: Amazon product ASIN B07CQKQQ83It's been great and it allows for quick shooting, since it's in front, but its a pain when walking. Always wants to swing and also, when climbing is no good because it's in front.

I'm leaning toward something like this though:

So far the Armageddon looks appealing. I have a new rifle with the QD attachments like in the pictures. It might work well for me.
Thank you all for the recommendations!!
I got one of these several years ago
I love it for open country hunting or walking out logging roads.

I didn't care for it when the going got rough.
I now use an anti slip Buttler Creek.

I use a piece of mule tape , when dragging or packing it animals, otherwise I don't use one .
The guys who got me started hunting never used one so I think it's normal .

I slide buckle on my safari to shortest and put over one shoulder at times, with gun in right hand level Othertimes gun bearer don't bring sling no need Packing or meat out just strap to my exo, has two straps on each side My small 6.5 fits in scope pocket of 2000 or 3500 exo