BEST ROUND FOR 1000 YARD TARGETS?

BH,

I've been on Longrangetargetshooting for a while. Seems almost no one is shooting 284 bullets, except John Hollinger with his standard 284win long throat. When I saw you mensioned the 7mm's,, I got a bit excited
smile.gif
This 7mm would be strictly for 1000 prone.. no across the course at all.

I looked at 6.5x55 a little. I may try one someday. I'd really like to get a 7mm working though. 2000 rounds before a set back may be too much to ask,, but I can dream..... I hear ya on the difference between BR and Long range prone. If I could get my left arm as stabile as a sinclairs rest,,, I could clean up. That is,, provided I figure out how to read the **** wind.....

Thanks,

FatBoy...

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: FatBoy... ]

Fat Boy

Try a 3 groove, we have over 3,000 on a 6.5 wsm, and its still shooting under 1/2 MOA.

That small group of Doc's at 600 was shot with 1,800 rnds on the barrel his throat has not moved .020" since brand new.

Danzac coating seems to help throat life as well. 2,000 rounds should be no problem at all, for most cartridges with the proper barrel and cleaning procedure.

S1,

I'm having a 30" 6 groove Border chambered tonight. I went with a tighter chamber and neck. coupled with the longer barrel (I'm used to 26" fella's) to keep MV up with less powder.

I was days away from ordering 2 Pac Nor 3 grooves, 31" in 8 twist to make the "twins",(not your twins Ian
smile.gif
), but the Border arrived in time. I see you use Lilja,, and I'd like to try one of those also.

So many options and so little money.... what is a guys to do
grin.gif

The 26" Rock Creek I just had set back was not in as bad a shape as I expected. 647 rounds and the throat had only moved .020",, not the .06" I had expected. I was using a smoked bullet to check the errosion and it bit me, so I'm upgrading to the stoney point (like I should have from the git go) this week to prevent another stupid mistake. Seems the flyers were due to an uneven crown. This may have been caused by my cleaning technique,, and it may have been a mishap from some work I had done after the fact. Don't know,, but I plan on paying special attension to her this time.

If I can ever get my hands on my required stocks (I'm in DIRE need of two McMillan Prones inletted for WInchester Long actions) I'll have three FagMags built by late spring. One F class for my misses (also use as a back up), and two matching Prone rifles. One for scope and one for iron sights. Thee SHOULD get me through a season before needing new tubes. 30 rounds in 22 minutes is tough on 'em though.

FatBoy...

Fatboy,

I can vouch for John Holliger's ability with the 284, he's excellent with an AR also (current U.S. civilain service rifle champion if memory serves). That would be an option. Let me throw another option at you from a different Illinoisan.

From what you stated about your criteria, a decent 1K gun with low recoil & reasonable barrel wear is in order. It seems a pal of mine shoots a particular caliber that is common, easy to load for, and EXTREMELY low recoil. It won't keep up with a 6.5-284, but shoots well inside a .308 at 1K. He's also won the Canadian National Full Bore Championships with it twice I believe.

The rifle has a 1:8" twist shooting 80gr Sierra MKs, the caliber is....... 22-250! The name is Bill Wylde, I believe you've probably heard of him! I know it ain't perfect, but give it a thought....
wink.gif

Thanks for all the info,

How would a .308 Win in an improved chamber do at 1000 yard target shooting? I was thinking of a 28 inch, 3 groove barrel, and 1 in 10 twist. Recoil would be light, and barrel life should be long. Would that work with 150 grain and heavier bullets?

Frank D

Frank,

308's were a mainstay at 1000 yuard events until recently. It will no doubt work in any form, but it's a harder road to travel, and takes much more wind reading ablility.

If you have the metal to stick it out and learn. Put the time in you'll need to win with a 308, you'll no doubt be an outstanding shooter. At that point, it really doesn't matter what you shoot.

FatBoy...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.