Best rest when developing a load?

when working up a load i like to take myself out of the equation as much as possible. Once i find the loads i like then i practice with those loads in field conditions. If I know the capabilities of the gun load combo then I know any error is my fault.

That would tend to make sense..at least in my mind....

I like using a bench with a soft shooting rest or sand bags w/ a rear bag. This is the most stable platform in my opinion for testing loads.

Tank

I disagree. It's irrelevant how well it shoots strapped to a sled if you can't hit the target with it under actual field conditions.

Interesting point of view.

When I test for a rifles accuracy I use the most consistant method available at the distance
required ( 100 to 1000 Yards) depending the intended use.

This minimizes the human factor.(No two people will shoot the same) and once this accuracy
is determined it's up to the shooter to do his part.

There is no smith in the world that guarantees that the shooter can shoot 1/2 MOA, The rifle will
but not everyone can shoot 1/2 moa.

Most sportsman will admit that there custom rifle will out shoot them and that it gives them
confidence knowing that, And if they do there part it will be a good shot.

There are so many things that will effect the accuracy of a rifle and establishing a benchmark
for the rifle tells you when something has effected it.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

so everyones just going to pretend all rifles should shoot well from a bipod?

Not pretending here. My rifles do shoot good from a bipod once I learned how to use them. Last 7mm-300 I did a few weeks ago was a consistant shoter under 1" at 300 yards while tuning seating depth. Nothing under the bipod, like a matt or carpet and in the dirt. I take my left hand and scratch the feet of the pod in solid. Nothing under the back bag either except soild dirt or a flat rock if I need a bit more elevation. Want to see your groups open up ? Then put a soft squishy bag, foam pad, or soft pack under the rear. That stock needs to stay put durring recoil.

I do refer to field conditions as "prone on a rear bag" everything I engage past 300 yards will be in this position.

Thats just what I do. It works for me and the people I take out to hunt.

Your milage may vary

Jeff gun)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 338 shoots awesome from a bipod, and any rifle with a fully floated barrel and a stiff enough stock forend to resist flexing and touching the barrel when it whips. but noteveryone shoots a custom rifle with a nice stiff stock. some guys are doing this with plastic SPS stocks and I guarantee not every remington sps that shoots good will shoot good from a bipod. Some rifles like a tiny bit of up pressure from the stock... well put it on a bipod and its a lot different pressure being applied to the barrel. My brother in law has a stainless BDL 300 Ultra and its not floated at all it shoots 1/2-3/4" amazingly from a bag or a pack , put it on a bipod and it becomes a 3" rifle

I see your point Mike. I tend to think in terms of a long range rig as that is all I hunt with and this is LRH. I have a hard time imagining anyone shooting a rifle with a stock that bad, but I am sure some do. Don't make much sense to me cuz a B&C stock can be had for a few hunders bucks or even an HS. I hunt with good rifles and equipment , but I am on a buget too. I choose to spend what I can on good rifles , scopes and a good RF. Been wishin for a 4 wheeler for 3 years now, but still walkin. Guess it is just a priority thing.

Jeff

when working up a load i like to take myself out of the equation as much as possible. Once i find the loads i like then i practice with those loads in field conditions. If I know the capabilities of the gun load combo then I know any error is my fault.

So what do you use for a rifle support while your working up said load?? I think THAT was the question!

I disagree. It's irrelevant how well it shoots strapped to a sled if you can't hit the target with it under actual field conditions.
I agree 100%. And FOR ME..."field position" is EITHER on a bipod..or...resting on something that would make a bipod look like it had spaghetti legs....I mean SOLID...

I usually use sandbags or an adjustable front rest and rear bag. I dont understand while trying to find the most accurate load combo anyone wouldnt want to take out as much human element as possible. The whole point of load work up is to find the best combo for that rifle. Then and only then can you shoot from a bipod or other field type rest and truly judge your ability. I would shy away from working up a load using a bipod due to the fact that i might throw out the best load due to a slight error on my part. If I find a load that shoots great during load development but doesnt shoot with a bipod then personally im gonna start picking apart my form first then i will figure out what is causing the issue with my rifle and fix that. There are way too many variables in long range hunting not to have everything as close to perfect as possible before you go into the field. My opinions might not be worth much to anyone else but i believe them 100 percent.

I usually use sandbags or an adjustable front rest and rear bag. I dont understand while trying to find the most accurate load combo anyone wouldnt want to take out as much human element as possible. The whole point of load work up is to find the best combo for that rifle. Then and only then can you shoot from a bipod or other field type rest and truly judge your ability. I would shy away from working up a load using a bipod due to the fact that i might throw out the best load due to a slight error on my part. If I find a load that shoots great during load development but doesnt shoot with a bipod then personally im gonna start picking apart my form first then i will figure out what is causing the issue with my rifle and fix that. There are way too many variables in long range hunting not to have everything as close to perfect as possible before you go into the field. My opinions might not be worth much to anyone else but i believe them 100 percent.

Solid support is just that..SOLID support. Why do you assume ( it appears at least ) that a sandbagged is any more "solid" than a properly setup Bipod? My rifle dont more...period...with the butt sandbagged of course. The bipod supports the forearm of the rifle stock...not the barrel

Last pick shows the way a rifle should look in a rest (Speedy hung the sign up and said hey turn around I want a pic of you giving me a thumbs up on a rifle he had just built) I still owe him for that and the others are of my rest.

USOWarp72.jpg

USOWarp7.jpg

e8bb483f.jpg

c3e2af3b.jpg

I guess I dont see the logic behind all the gizmo's you show including a $500 shooting rest and then shoot it off a piece of plywood sitting on wobbly tubular legs??? The rest at the club where I shoot are all poured concrete...and then dont wiggle a bit!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.