Load developement shooting rests for sporter type rifles

Bigeclipse

What shooting rests do you like to use for load development on your traditional stock sporter type rifles? On most my rifles I use a bipod and with my traditional rifles I tend to use a competition adjustable front rest with a rear bag combo. I'm just looking to see what others use for their rifles which do not have bipods when they do load development so they can eliminate as much shooter error as possible. Thanks!

This might help.

What shooting rests do you like to use for load development on your traditional stock sporter type rifles? On most my rifles I use a bipod and with my traditional rifles I tend to use a competition adjustable front rest with a rear bag combo. I'm just looking to see what others use for their rifles which do not have bipods when they do load development so they can eliminate as much shooter error as possible. Thanks!

Tried to buy a Sinclair for my load development this year but none are available, with no ETA. Seems solid and you can buy one with windage adjustments. Roughly $700. Weighs 30 lbs. Don't want to spend more than that but you could spend $2K.

Ended up with a Caldwell BR competition rest. Found one Amazon for $120. Weighs 15 lbs but I can put sand bags on the legs if needed. It has windage adjustments which is a requirement. Pretty sure I'll habe to change the bearings if they are the typical ones Caldwell uses.

Agree with something like this for load development then practice with your typical setup, like bipods, pack, etc.

Tried to buy a Sinclair for my load development this year but none are available, with no ETA. Seems solid and you can buy one with windage adjustments. Roughly $700. Weighs 30 lbs. Don't want to spend more than that but you could spend $2K.

Ended up with a Caldwell BR competition rest. Found one Amazon for $120. Weighs 15 lbs but I can put sand bags on the legs if needed. It has windage adjustments which is a requirement. Pretty sure I'll habe to change the bearings if they are the typical ones Caldwell uses.

Agree with something like this for load development then practice with your typical setup, like bipods, pack, etc.

Good point the sky's the limit on the bench rest rabbit hole. I have the same rest and while it's more than adequate for load development it would leave me wanting more in a competition.

It's not ideal but just flexible enough to work with sporter and target stocks.

Screenshot_20200227-162936_Photos.jpg
20211207_091216.jpg

I use a modified bald Eagle rest with a 3" wide bag. Then I install a 3" wide bag rider to the bottom of the rifle. I either use the Sinclair bag rider that mounts to the forward sling stud hole or other bag riders if the rifle has a pic rail on the bottom. Provides excellent stability shot to shot. I also get my bags with the "SlickSilver" material on the ears. Makes the rifle track straight with no drag.

20200126_104325.jpg

Good point the sky's the limit on the bench rest rabbit hole. I have the same rest and while it's more than adequate for load development it would leave me wanting more in a competition.

It's not ideal but just flexible enough to work with sporter and target stocks.

View attachment 338604View attachment 338605
X2. Works well enough!!