Load developement shooting rests for sporter type rifles

I use a basic Caldwell front rest with a bag rest for sporters. It seems closest to the "average" type of rest position I would use where an accurate shot was required. Stay very conscious of any forearm support with the off hand, rearward pull pressure of the stock into the shoulder, and the degree of cheek weld pressure(which should be minimal). If a bi-pod was anticipated to be used to a great extent, I would substitute the Caldwell(or other) front rest for the bi-pod…..Or devote some time shooting on the bi-pod, post load development, if occasional use of a bi-pod were anticipated.

Just a front bad Allen as shown and Caldwell that I also use on some rifles. Caldwell rear bunny. I sometimes have help.Lol

Attachments

• 20161123_110940.jpg
    20161123_110940.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 79
I use a Sinclair Heavy Varmint rest. About $ 300 now. No plastic parts, weighs about 17 pounds. Mine is an older model. You can order with or upgrade later to a windage top.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    369.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
What shooting rests do you like to use for load development on your traditional stock sporter type rifles? On most my rifles I use a bipod and with my traditional rifles I tend to use a competition adjustable front rest with a rear bag combo. I'm just looking to see what others use for their rifles which do not have bipods when they do load development so they can eliminate as much shooter error as possible. Thanks!
I use the same set up you describe for your sporter rifles. BUT, I hold the forend just behind the front rest, pulling the rifle back into my shoulder with my trigger hand just as I would in the field, and holding down and back on the forend as I would shooting at game or a target in the field.

Timely thread. I recently had a chance to try both the Caldwell Stinger and Caldwell Fire Control Rests.

I'm having a really hard time talking myself our of the FCR model.

Unlike the Hydro or Lead sleds you still shoulder the rifle just as you would in the field thus not taking the human out of the equation while still getting the best accuracy possible out of the rifle and load.

Has anyone else shot with either of these two rests?

Timely thread. I recently had a chance to try both the Caldwell Stinger and Caldwell Fire Control Rests.

I'm having a really hard time talking myself our of the FCR model.

Unlike the Hydro or Lead sleds you still shoulder the rifle just as you would in the field thus not taking the human out of the equation while still getting the best accuracy possible out of the rifle and load.

Has anyone else shot with either of these two rests?
Caldwell Fire Control is a great piece of equipment. Very easy to use and a huge improvement for Caldwell. No need to talk yourself out of it

Someone mentioned it above, and I will second the Sinclair heavy varmint. I'm not sure what availability is right now, but it's a solid rest that's still easy to transport.

Caldwell Fire Control is a great piece of equipment. Very easy to use and a huge improvement for Caldwell. No need to talk yourself out of it
I only got to run five shots using it but played with the adjustments a bit and felt like it might be the best answer for me.

I may take 7-10 rifles in five to eight calibers to the range at a time and run 10-25 rounds through each of them.

That's a lot of opportunity for induced human errors in a range session making the data gathered less than100% reliable.

We've got a fantastic range on the side of a mountain where they quarried limestone and good bench set ups five minutes from the house so I plan to probably start getting in even more range time once I'm settled in.