best production rifle out there

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Ccctennis, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ccctennis

Ccctennis Well-Known Member

trying to figure out how to make the most of my dollars spent!
    which of these production lines would be money well spent?
    montana extreme 2
    cooper backcountry m92
    nosler liberty
    sako carbonlight.

trying to figure out a semi-custom hunting rig. medium to light weight. but with sub moa accuracy out the box. i do reload but would like it to still be decent with factory ammo

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I can’t speak to the other rifles on your list, but the workmanship, reliability, and accuracy(<.5MOA) of my Cooper 52 that has seen heavy use for seven seasons can easily stand with my full customs.

Rogmay and Mike 338 like this.
  3. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I'm a Cooper fan as well.
    But just about anything will provide 'sub MOA' with the right ammo. So there could be other attributes of your choices better than a Cooper(for you).

4. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

The Cooper is in another league than the others listed. If you are going with a magnum cartridge or even a long action cartridge I would avoid Nosler and Sako due to their short mag boxes. I have no clue about the Montana. The Cooper is a little shorter(3.6") than a factory Remington.

5. Sykes

Sykes Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Cooper makes a dam fine rifle. I have a 92 backcountry 280 AI and 6.5-284. Both shoot .5" with factory nosler ammo. 280 likes the 160 partitions the best. Picture is a 5 shot group, of course I had to screw up the last shot!

IMG_20170720_065825488.jpg

Buck Buster and Mike 338 like this.
  6. midnightmalloy

midnightmalloy Well-Known Member

How much are you looking to spend on a rifle alone? That’s makes it easier to give suggestions.

7. Ccctennis

Ccctennis Well-Known Member

$2500-$2800

8. midnightmalloy

Maybe a Christianson Arms as it has been reviewed pretty highly over on long range only.com $2795 retail so it can be found for a little less.

https://christensenarms.com/elr/

9. rfurman24

I would rate Fierce far above Christensen. I own both.

10. Sykes

Sykes Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I agree fierce makes a pretty dam nice rifle also

11. adam32

adam32 Well-Known Member

That's the first I've ever read that.

Why?

trumperman likes this.
  12. CTK

CTK Well-Known Member

I keep wanting to try a Cooper. Might break me of my custom rifle habit. Cooper is the only production rifle that I would consider buying as a go to open country rifle. I might do something different for a "woods rifle". A nice Marlin would be cool. I do not have many rifles. This makes it possible for me to afford my Cadillac taste with my Chevy funds.

Buck Buster likes this.
  13. rfurman24

The biggest reason is the Christensen is a very poorly timed 700 copy and the Fierce is a work of art when it comes to action timing. I also have come to prefer the mechanical ejector. I was never a DBM guy but the one in the Fierce functions flawlessly, looks clean, and is fairly lightweight. The controlled round push feed feeds much better than a standard push feed. I would say accuracy is a wash especially if you bed the Christensen.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  14. midnightmalloy

Good to know. Fierce looks awfully close to a sako and I built a 280ai off a LH sako 75. I haven’t owned a factory rifle in a pretty long time so I was just going off of trusted reviews.