best production rifle out there

I have been selling Remington's since 1985.I am talking about the model 700 when I say I have no problem's then or now
Some people read internet crap and believe it. Some people just like to complain. Some people legitimately have issues with their rifles, but that happens with every manufacturer. It's just trendy to take a shot at Remington these days, and has been the last decade or so.

I've owned quite a few 700's and only had 1 with an issue, and it was a .338 WinMag with a 24" pencil barrel. It got the gunsmith treatment and a new barrel, and never another issue. :cool:

It would be pretty hard for me to suggest anyone purchases a Remington after how they've handled their trigger recall. Once a company loses my trust it will be near impossible to get it back. I know they are an "American gun company" and many don't want to say anything but covering up such an egregious safety issue is enough to never use them or suggest them again.

Coopers are good, customer service is hit and miss if that matters to you.

I recently picked up a Seekins Havak and have been nothing but impressed with every aspect of the rifle. absolute steal at the price they are going for
Which havak did you get

It would be pretty hard for me to suggest anyone purchases a Remington after how they've handled their trigger recall. Once a company loses my trust it will be near impossible to get it back. I know they are an "American gun company" and many don't want to say anything but covering up such an egregious safety issue is enough to never use them or suggest them again.
I'm more ashamed of how the legal system handled the whole incident that led to the stupid X-Mark trigger in the first place... It was a case of pure firearm negligence and someone's own **** stupidity that led to someone getting shot by a cocked and loaded firearm sitting unattended, pointed down range, while they were screwing around out in front of it, when someone flips the safety off, and the hammer drops and someone gets killed because someone decided to take a loaded gun off safety while pointing in their direction... Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. But these idiots found themselves a Johnny Cochran lawyer and sued the hell out of Remington for their own stupidity.....And WON! Just when I think the world can't possibly get any dumber, someone else steps up to the plate, and proves me wrong.

Proper firearms handling and safety procedures could have avoided the whole incident.

I'm more ashamed of how the legal system handled the whole incident that led to the stupid X-Mark trigger in the first place... It was a case of pure firearm negligence and someone's own **** stupidity that led to someone getting shot by a cocked and loaded firearm sitting unattended, pointed down range, while they were screwing around out in front of it, when someone flips the safety off, and the hammer drops and someone gets killed because someone decided to take a loaded gun off safety while pointing in their direction... Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. But these idiots found themselves a Johnny Cochran lawyer and sued the hell out of Remington for their own stupidity.....And WON! Just when I think the world can't possibly get any dumber, someone else steps up to the plate, and proves me wrong.

Proper firearms handling and safety procedures could have avoided the whole incident.

I understand what you're trying to say but it has been documented that Remington knew about the issue not for years but DECADES and did nothing but hide behind the firearms laws about the inability to sue firearms manufacturers for wrongful death. Did idiots not abide by the basics of firearms safety? Yes! But should a manufacturer cover up and hide a dangerous flaw in their product and design? Hell no!

I understand what you're trying to say but it has been documented that Remington knew about the issue not for years but DECADES and did nothing but hide behind the firearms laws about the inability to sue firearms manufacturers for wrongful death. Did idiots not abide by the basics of firearms safety? Yes! But should a manufacturer cover up and hide a dangerous flaw in their product and design? Hell no!
I agree with that part, even Mike Walker said there was an issue...And he built and designed the triggers. But he also said that the issue is not ALL of the triggers. Only some have it, and that Remington would have only had to spend an extra $0.05 per unit to fix the issue.

But the only reason people are getting killed or hurt from these incidents in the first place is negligence and stupidity.

Guys PM one another and don't hijack the guys post. I think of the ones you posted the Cooper is the best option. If you want to shoot some of the newer longer bullets that will be a issue. As Marty said the new Barrett Fieldcraft are suppose to be real nice.

I purchased a rifle from Red Hawk Rifles back in 2010. It was a factory SPS with the barrel bolt fluted, all metal cryogenically treated, and set in an Alaskan Ti stock. I bought it because I need a rifle for a hunt and didn't have time to do load development. At the time this rifle was something RHR was making in many different chamberings and they were all shooting right at or better than .5 moa at 100 yards with a target included. Mine easily reproduced the group and later I developed a better load with a better bullet. A few years later I called back to purchase another in a different chamber and they informed me they no longer sold them because they could were getting far too many factory rifles that would not group. You can say it's people just talking internet crap or wanting to dog pile on Remington or whatever else you want to say. That alone is enough for me to not purchase a factory Remington. You can pick almost any Remington up in the store and feel the cock on close and a large percentage have very poor primary extraction. I am not a big factory rifle guy in the first place because they all have some compromises for the things I want/need. The Tikkas and Noslers have short mag boxes if you want a "long action" cartridge. Savage and Browning are slightly better but still not what they should be unless you go with a Savage Lapua action.

Which havak did you get

6.5 PRC

I will also echo the previous comments about the detachable mag in the cooper...mine was sloppy. Loaded/round chambered you could move the mag side to side. After a few weeks and many phone calls/emails they sent a replacement that was slightly better, but it was a big turn off for me

True story, I was hunting in Hamilton Montana and at the end of the hunting day, I noticed when I got back to the truck and went to unload my rifle that the mag had fallen out. On my ride back through town I noticed that the lights were still on at Cooper Rifles facilities . I pulled in and went to the door with my rifle. A women opened the door and saw me standing there with my rifle in hand and wearing my hunting gear. I turned the gun over in my hands and showed her the empty mag well. She asked me what caliber my gun was and then walked into the back room. She then came back out and handed me a new magazine. Seriously, the only words I said was 300 WM and thank you. Again, not trashing Cooper Rifles as they will diffidently shoot well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.