Best out of the box .338 LM rifle ?

Kaboom

Ok guys I'd like your opinions on the best over the counter, stock out of the box .338 LM Please list pro's & cons. Thanks

From what I have seen the sako trg is pretty hard to beat it has a ton of features that range from ergonomic to trigger control etc...

If it where me I would pay to have a custom done for the same money though I went the savage 10fcp route and wish I would have just had one made instead...mine is at the smith as we speak and I am gonna end up having as much as a custom in it before it's all over.

When it comes to a rifle like this I think investing in a custom is the right way to go.

That said the sako trg I have been around shoots outstanding as do many other factory rifles, but I think a custom will give you more control over the final product than going off the shelf.

savage 110 fcp hs, i was able to achieve this group at 100 yards with VERY little load develoment

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 175
Savage is hard to touch for price point and mine was a shooter just had an ultra tight chamber and built pressure bad....had to reduce the loads to sub par performance for the round to get acceptable pressure.... the other down side to the savage is the 26" barrel length would have been nice if you could get it in 28 or 30.

YMMV

If you want first class precision and ergonomics take a long and hard look at the Steyr SSG 08.

We have tested in thoroughly at ranges out to 1400m (did not have enough elevation available for more range). The gun shoots in the .3"s out to 1000m and in the 0.4"s out to + 1500y

It comes with the brake, a superb bipod and monopod included. Has the correct twist and magazine lenght for long .338" bullets.

Did I mention it's a nail driver:D

A bit of testing. Not me shooting. A good friend(with my gun)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Desert Tech SRS is a helluva platform but they certainly know what they want for them. A Savage is a great "budget" gun and you can get great out of the box rifles from Len or buy one of Shawn Carlock's rigs. It's all about the features you want and the money you have to spend.

Ive been around a local that competes in 1000 bench and he has a TRG play rifle,seen him one whole it at 200 yrds with this rifle,he has many nice rifles and customs.This is one of his favs. A AI is also another fine choice,Id take either.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.