Best powder for 338 RUM

450hunter

What is the best powder to use in the 338 RUM shooting 300 grn Berger bullets. This is my first RUM to reload for, plus it is my Christmas present from my 2 boys. Thanks in advance for any info.

H-1000 is a proven powder in any of the ultra mags. I have been using RL33 with very good success with both the 280 LRX and the 300 Accubond. RL33 should give you some added velocity over H1000, and also seems to be temp stable.

Kirby Allen has a great thread on his RL33 testing where he figures out the details of how to use it properly. The search function should get you to the thread. Big picture, you need to seat the bullet up close to the lands to get the powder burning, but reading the thread would be worth while if you are thinking of using RL33.

Thanks gentlemen, I have some H-1000 on hand a long with some RL-25. Powder is hard to get here in Fairbanks, Alaska a long with primers. I do have a lead on some RL-33 but it's in Anchorage (370 miles away) so that will have to wait until next month when my son goes down.

450hunter

Just a heads up. RL-25 is horrible for temp stability. RL-26 which just came out is supposed to be a more temp stable replacement.

I agree with those who have made comment above, Retumbo, RL-33, and H-1000 are proven choices. I will also mention that I've had great performance and proven temp stability using Ramshot Magnum. I use Magnum with the 210 grain TTSX and that load is crazy accurate, clover leafs at 200 yards and 2 inches at 600 yards.

With the 300 grain Bergers I use RL-33 and am getting 2,750 fps in a 26" tube. While no where near as accurate as the 210 TTSX that load is nevertheless sub MOA. Pressure is nice and low so I could run the 300s much faster IF there were more room in the case but alas, it is full. This is where the Edge has a significant advantage.

I really want to try RL26 in my 338 RUM, but I am not holding my breath that I'll get lucky enough to find any.

Just a warning about RL33 that caught me off guard, is how compressed the loads get. If I was not getting 1/4 MOA accuracy and higher velocity, I would just be happy using H-1000 or Retumbo, or even RL25.

Just like everything else... H-4350, you give up a little velocity but it will shoot great groups and clean as a whistle.....greatest powder ever designed!!

RL-26 is totally out of the question since no store has ever got any in Fairbanks. It is really hard getting any powder period. Haven't seen Retumbo in over a year, very seldom do you see any Reloader or H-1000. You can get H50BMG and IMR 7828. They usually are setting on the shelf most of the time.

I am wanting to stick with the 300 grn Berger if I can get them to shoot good out of this rifle since the animals are big up here and some hunt back. If the rifle don't like them I will try something else but I'm really hoping for the 300 grn. Thanks for the info in advance.

To Engineering 101, if you would use a 6 inch drop tube you could get more powder in if you can load that high. It also seems that with the Reloader 33 if you keep the 300 Berger very close or into the rifling a bit they seem to shoot a lot better. Matt

Does anybody have a recipe with RL 33 an 250 grn AccuBonds or H-1000, Retumbo, etc with the 285 A-Max? Don't mean to high jack , just asking a question. Thanks.

DT

I have shot RL33 with the 250 Berger Elite Hunter in my 338 RUM. Started to see faint ejector marks at 103 grains and ~3050 fps. I think that RL33 is too slow for the 250 weight bullets and under. But I can push the 280 LRX to about ~2925 before I started seeing ejector marks. Accuracy was the best around ~2875. And for reference I've got a 27" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.