338 RUM

remington brass
cci 250 primer
96 grains of retumbo
200 grain sst
26" 10 twist barrel
3020 fps

Previously I was at 101.5 grains of retumbo pushing it just over 3400
Did it not group well at the higher charge or did the bullet not perform like you wanted or are you just trying to run at less pressure for your rifle and brass? Thank you for the recipe too. Retumbo seems to be a unicorn as well.

Did it not group well at the higher charge or did the bullet not perform like you wanted or are you just trying to run at less pressure for your rifle and brass? Thank you for the recipe too. Retumbo seems to be a unicorn as well.

It groups/ed great at both charges. When I was doing initial load development I didn't have a chrono so I just loaded until pressure signs and dropped back until it grouped. Later on I was verifying velocity for drops and discovered that it was as fast as it was. I dropped back a few grains just for pressure and brass life like you said. 200 grains flying 3000 fps is still a'lot of energy.

It groups/ed great at both charges. When I was doing initial load development I didn't have a chrono so I just loaded until pressure signs and dropped back until it grouped. Later on I was verifying velocity for drops and discovered that it was as fast as it was. I dropped back a few grains just for pressure and brass life like you said. 200 grains flying 3000 fps is still a'lot of energy.
Absolutely. I figured that was the reason. How manageable is the recoil? My gun is a 700 BDL stainless.

Absolutely. I figured that was the reason. How manageable is the recoil? My gun is a 700 BDL stainless.
I have a nice brake and a sissy pad on it but I could shoot it all day. Weighs 10.5-11 lbs somewhere in there. My wife is not a large person and she doesn't mind it a bit. She prefers to shoot it over a 270 win without a brake.

I have a nice brake and a sissy pad on it but I could shoot it all day. Weighs 10.5-11 lbs somewhere in there. My wife is not a large person and she doesn't mind it a bit. She prefers to shoot it over a 270 win without a brake.
Which brake did you go with?