Powder for a 338 RUM

Retumbo most used powder in the 338 RUM
H1000

Reloader 26 with 250gr
Reloader 33 with 300gr

Reloader 22 or H1000 with 225gr

I get almost identical velocities with H1000 or Retumbo. 31" barrel , 300 grain AB, Nosler custom brass, CCI mag primer, 89 grains of either and 2810 fps. I feel Retumbo might group slightly better but they are very close.

I'd run retumbo in this instance. Your brass will last longer.

I am getting excellent results with RL33 and a 300 grain Accubond. .
H1000 with 225 and 250 grain weight Bullets.

I would love to try Retumbo but I have not found any for a couple of years now.

I tried many powders and primers and brass combo's and finally found that Retumbo worked best for me in my custom 338 rum. I backed it off to where 87.5 grains of retumbo in R-P brass with CCI 250 primers was averaging 2730 and very accurate. It will push the 300 Bergers out past 2800 but primer pockets were stressed. My gun also liked R-P brass better than Nosler brass. Don't know why and this is the only gun I own that prefers R-P. I also load to 3.78 coal which was about .50 off the lands. Very accurate. Blue printed 700 xcr with #5 Bartlein barrel and pillar bedded custom stock and Timney trigger and custom muzzle brake. Took several hundred rounds to come to these conclusions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.