Best place to hunt long range?

cmblocksma

I am a former marine who has never gotten into the hunting side of guns until now. I was a scout sniper in my day ( less than a year ago ) and still love the thrill of long rang shooting and would love to take it to a new level. I was doing some looking around and am having a hard time finding out where the best places to go are for long range hunting. up to 800 yards or more. I dont care what it is i hunt, its the challenge of the shot that i love. I also like long trips maybe 2 3 weeks out into the middle of nowhere. If anyone has any places in mind. i would love your assistance. (dont limit yourself to the us.) thanks for your help.

I believe it was the famous newspaper editor, Horace Greeley, who said it best: "Go west, young man, go west".

BTW: Thank you for your service to this great country. Arizona has some great hunting, but it is often tough to get drawn. Colorado still has over-the-counter elk permits. Might be a good place to start.

I dont know the rules and regulations or the feasability of it but from whay I understand New Zealand has no predators and no limits on game animals with lots of open land and hilly mountain areas. I really want to try this place. So this is my number one choice

First and foremost, thank you for your service and dedication to our country. Secondly, welcome to LRH. New Zealand is a great idea, I know you probably want to stay away from the place, but Dall Sheep in the Indies would afford a challenging shot, and Canada. Lot of flat tundra and Caribou to take long shots. Then if you want to stay state side, Texas and the Southeast could use a farol hog depopulating.

Again welcome and thank you,

Tank

Liltank and pyroducksx3, thank you for your great responses. I will be looking into these asap. And i dont care where i go really, its the thrill of the shot that i love. I also have been trying to find a reliable range finder that can reach out to 2000 yards.
I came ac-crossed Newcon Rangefinder 7x25 2500 Yard Speed RS-232 Inclinometer Monoculars. But had read some bad reviews on newcon. Didnt know if anyone had any experience?
Thank you.
Please feel free to continue to give me good hunting ground ideas.

Don't know what kind of budget you have, but they sell a PLRF10 here I on this sight I think. It is suppose to be good to 2K and farther. Quite spendy though. I think it is in the neighborhood of $3 to $4000.00. Suppose to have a really tight beam, and Shawn Carlock developed a stand to put an additional optic on the front to increase its power visually to what ever power you want to increase it too.

Tank

Wyoming antelope is good option. Put in for a buck permit. If you don't draw out you can still hunt does. Lots of units have leftover does tags. Some units you can get multiple tags.

Thank you for serving and defending our freedom so we can all enjoy this! I would suggest Montana as a great place for long range with a variety of animals to hunt including lots of off season predators and varmints. Southern Idaho is also good. Better have your wind doping down especially in Mt.:D......Rich

Praire dogs!! Probably not as glamorous as Big Horn Sheep, 6x6(or bigger) Elk, but still fun. Take multiple rifles to allow for cooling of barrels, and don't forget to bring plenty of ammunition(I ran out of .243AI pretty early on and had to ride it out on the .223Rem stuff for the last three days).

Fun times!!!

Thanks for your service!!

Scott

Thank you all for you appreciation and suggestions. If anyone has more ideas feel free to keep posting. I recently ordered an M200 Intervention in the .408 cal. and it is hard to find places to really put it through its paces. I am a personal contractor now so i get the opportunity to go to all sorts of fun places. On my off time i am free to travel in the surrounding countries. So i am really looking into the Indies and New Zealand. thanks for the heads up on the range finder. Keep the comments coming by all means!
Thanks again.

For range finders you could try the TRUpulse 200. It is the new range finder that the BOTW will be offering. However, there is no need to pay the price they will want if you just want a range finder. This thing will measure 2000 yards to +/- one ft on reflective targets and 1000 yard with +/- 1yd accuracy on non-reflective. All for around $700.00. Its worth a look. Heres the link

Laser Technology - TruPulse 200 Rangefinder

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts