Best North America Hunting/Long Range caliber.

Funny just figured it out and was going post it on here. Have you found matrix bc to be accurate? From what I have heard they were way high

I'm wondering how fast you could run the 165g Matrix in the old .270 Win and what twist it would take to stabilize it? I checked the Matrix website but didn't see recommended twist rates published.

You have a sendero 338 rum you don't need anything else unless it just won't shoot. That is awesome long range round that will do anything the 338 edge or lapua will do..It will out perform the 7mm's and 300's at long range with ease

Well I found the answer to my own question about the .270 and Matrix bullets, I couldn't believe when I stared reading Lucas Beitner's Feb. 2011 article on this site titled 270 for Long Range Hunting. Imagine my surprise when he details his new .270 Win build by Benchmark Barrels (great guys btw, they are just down the road from me) using a 9 twist 28" barrel, and getting 2890 fps with the 165 Matrix. LTLR to answer your question, Lucas says a b.c. of .650 is about right for the 165 Matrix as opposed to their advertised b.c. of over .700. The bullet also performed well on a nice buck, check out the article if you haven't already.

I hunt here in Colorado and while a have a few different calibers for different applications, the gun that does it all for me is a .300 Win mag. I've taken elk, mule deer, pronghorn, and coyote with it. I think it is one of the most versatile cartridges around

6.5 06 if they were in every store for 17$ a box until then IM good with my 270 win. Like NFL teams (no bad ones just some better)

THE 300 wm is a hard to beat as best all around rifle out of the box for anything practically under 1000 yards and there is ammo available almost everywhere if you get in a pinch.

I don't have one only because I have enough money to play around with many calibers. But I think you have it right.

Thanks for all the feedback and knowledge. After research and commentary I have decided to build a 7 Rem Mag on a Stiller Tac-300 action and 26" Obermeyer M24 contour barrel with 8 3/4 twist. So I am selling my .270 and .338 Rum. I will be asking for comments on Brass, bullets, loads.

Thanks again to everyone

Thanks for all the feedback and knowledge. After research and commentary I have decided to build a 7 Rem Mag on a Stiller Tac-300 action and 26" Obermeyer M24 contour barrel with 8 3/4 twist. So I am selling my .270 and .338 Rum. I will be asking for comments on Brass, bullets, loads.

Thanks again to everyone

Wow. IMO, that sounds like trading a socket set for a high end crescent wrench, as far as cartriges are concerned, but hey its your call.
Hope your build goes well. Keep us posted on your results.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.