best multi-range scope?

canada_kid

hi im looking for a scope to do some long range hunting, and am wanting your opinions on the best scope to be used from anywhere between 200 to even 1000 yards (you never know where something will pop up).

hi im looking for a scope to do some long range hunting, and am wanting your opinions on the best scope to be used from anywhere between 200 to even 1000 yards (you never know where something will pop up).

Your variable scopes that run from the 5/6 power to 20/22 power would be nice for that.
The 4-16's class would work as well, but I prefer more magnification myself-personel decision.

Will you be turning turrets or using a reticle?

Consensus will probably be Nightforce NXS, they offer everything you need for long range hunting. Their reticles also allow you to shoot without dialing if need be.

thanks, ill check those companies out. do all of those brands offer turrent adjustable sights? and i have heard good things about the huskemaw scope with the ballistics compensator, has any one used this scope?

I currently have a Huskemaw and a Sightron S-3, but haven't had time to check them out yet. Both optics have a good record of turret reliability.
I already think that I want to keep them though. I like the thoughtful reticle design of the Huskemaw-Well thought out.
E

Ernie could you give me some feedback as to which of those two scopes have better glass ive been thinking of the sightron S111 for some time.

Ernie could you give me some feedback as to which of those two scopes have better glass ive been thinking of the sightron S111 for some time.

I haven't spent time with them together in low light and different conditions.
When I have done that and have had some others do the same, I will let you know.

alright, here is what i have figured.
leupold mark 4
nightforce nxs
sightron s3
huskemaw

any other suggestions??? i am new to turning turrets, so i am kinda confused. i understand the huskemaw and the turret they make for you for your set up, so on these other scopes you must remember the position of the turret for a given distance, or am i missing something??? if not then why dont other manufacturers do this? is there an inherant problem that i dont kno about with this kind of system? besides the fact that it will only work on one set up ie. rifle, load, bullet weight etc.

Canada Kid,
There is no downside to a Huskemaw scope in reguards to only being able to use it with one bullet/load combo. The scope comes with a MOA turret, which you could leave on, and develope a drop chart based on that. Or you can develope a load, send in verified ballistic info and they will etch a turret based on yardage for you. Either way , it is a good scope with good glass, and great customer service. I just sent in my scope, after banging it during hunting season, to have them look at it. I fully expected to pay something for this, as it was my fault for damaging it. Called them yesterday, and they said they were going to send me a new one, at no charge. I would say that is above and beyond, and great customer service.
James Hurst

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.