Best Long Range Scope???

I have a Schmidt & Bender 4 to 16 X 50 PM scope on my long range deer rifle. Talk about repeatable clicks,,,,it has that down. The 34mm tube allows for an increased elevation adjustment. The scope is clear, bright and very durable. It is not at all eye critical (such as a lot of other scopes). The adjustable objective on the side has markings in meters. Very usefull for determining distance. I dare say there isn't a scope made anywhere in the USA that has that feature (except perhaps a US Optics).

For varmint hunting I use a 6 to 24 X 50 Swarovski with a dot reticle. My best kill to date using my 22 is 660 yards with the 47th round down the tube. I see no reason why this scope won't work to 1000 yards for varmints. It is not at all eye critical.

Don
smile.gif

Gary,

I should clarify
smile.gif

I had a 22 CHeetah MK 1 built. Take a 308BR case and neck it down to accept a 22 bullet, then fire form. Push a 52gr berger bullet at 4280 FPS with 44gr of 4064.

Since a buddy already had a CHeetah I used the same load data. Working up a load was easy - for me. With the 47th round down the tube I killed a woodchuck at a measured (Leica Geovid) 660 yards.

Don
smile.gif

I have to agree with the Schmidt & Bender. I have the PM II 4-16X50 & it is the best one that I have had. I have used Night force NXS & it puts them to pure shame. I sold my Nightforce scopes to buy Schmidt & Bender. I also have a couple of Leupold Mark 4's that I like, but not as well as the Schmidt & Bender.

What about the Burris Black Diamond 6-24 X 50MM, I have heard bad things about this Burris but I am curious. I have Leupold and Swarvoski, Zeiss, but I can not believe that Burris is all that bad?

Any comments?

I use both Leupold and Night Force. Both are great scopes, but the N.F. is by far the stronger of the two. It will stand up to much more spinning of the clicks than the Leupold. The N.F. scopes have many features that are just great for the long range shooter. The range finding reticals they have realy work, and come in several styles. There are two draw backs in the N.F. scopes, cost and weight. I have two of the 8-32X N.F.scopes, and they have been used extensively over the part three years. Not one problem with ether of them. one served duty on a 7MM Remington Mag for a logged in 1001 shots, and the other on a 30 HART MAG for over 900 rounds. The 7MM Mag is played out, but the N.F is still going strong on a 30-338 Mag. The second N.F. scope that is in main use on the 30 HART Mag also had seen duty on a 300 Win Mag, and a 270 Winchester while they were going through load development. I have pounded both of these scopes and they just keep on keeping on!I have been told that the Burris Black Diamond 8-32X is also and exalent scope and I think that I might try one. Anyone out there use one? What can you tell me about it?

I get this question A LOT from friends. So often in fact, that I took the time to write a comprehensive blog post about it.

Here is what all I cover in the article. I go into more detail in each one, and have specific scope recommendations (all from 2013).

Most Important Features To Look For In Long-Range Riflescopes:
  • Quality Glass
  • Milling Reticle
  • Zoom Range/Power Range
  • Elevation Adjustment Range
  • Tube & Objective Size
  • Matching Reticle & Turrets
  • Front Focal Plane
Best Scopes By Price Point
  • Under $500
  • $500-1000
  • $1000-1500
  • $1500-2500
  • Money Is No Object ($2500+)
To read the full article, visit: http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/03/07/best-long-range-scopes-buyers-guide-and-features-to-look-for/

I use NF 5.5x22's, M4's , and Huskemaw 5x20's. All work well. The two Huskemaws I have used for a few years have superb tracking, are tough as nails, and the glass is as good, if not a little better than the others. It's also more compact than the others. I have had no luck with turret repeatability with the Leaupold VX3's or 2's in the past. The target turret VX3's are OK, but have to be tested.

I have had good luck with my Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1. The Army Spec Version is friggin bulletproof!!!

It is not on a "competition" rig...so I am not worried much about the area the reticle covers at extended ranges. Also, it is a Mil-Mil scope...makes it VERY fast when ranging if your dope is good.

I hope the OP is still not waiting for a recommendation as it was originally posted in 2001!lightbulb

Don't worry Feenix, it was just the rifle blog guy pumping his website. I have seen numberous posts from him and many were old ones dug up, He is doing it on a few different sites. Wonder when Len will grow as tired of it as some of the members have.

Jeff

That 2013 Long range scope buyers guide link was excellent. Thanks for posting it. I am getting toward the end of my build, it is a M700 SPS, 26" heavy barrel in .308 that I want to use for prairie dogs and long range deer hunting. I have had the action and bolt face trued, bedded and just got it back from the hydro graphic shop. Still have to decide on the scope, but you have made that a much easier step. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2 blt clsd fl.jpg
    2 blt clsd fl.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 80
wonder how the scopes from 01 compare to todays, how much has changed/improved in the 10 years or so
How much has it improved? Well, I'd probably offer you $50 for a $500 scope from back then, if that tells you anything? :D

The glass quality might have only improved a little bit, but pricision functions and anti-reflective lens coatings have come a LONG way.

Example: Look at window tint on new cars vs old cars.....Old cars it turns kinda purple and looks like crap, right? Well, the new platinum material tint has better light filtering & better quality materials in it, and when it gets old, it doesn't turn purple and fade like the old tint does, yet it costs the same as the old stuff did back then.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.