Best long range elk load for a 300 RUM?

Case in Point
An exit wound in the off side of a Bull Elk made by a 180 grain bullet fired from a 300 Winn.impact velocity approximately 2600 FPS for 2700 FPE

HuntingPicturesfrom2006060.jpg

This exit wound is in the same rib cage of the same Bull Elk,but was made by a 440 grain Flat Point Hard Cast fired from a 500 JRH with a muzzle velocity of 950 FPS for only 888FPE

HuntingPicturesfrom2006061.jpg

It is quite aparent that the largest wound (and it was this way start to finish) was made by the least amount of energy..The smaller wound had slightly over 3 times more energy...FPE does not properly predict the outcome,IMHO it is a moot point..As long as your projectile acts as it is designed to do and penetyrates and destroys vital tissue death will occur in short order reguardless of the FPE..Many times a heavier bullet does this better than a lighter bullet of the same caliber even tho the lighter faster bullet has more energy....

I took this Buffalo (scored 70 1/4 SCI points) with one shot and the bullet Exited the animal. I used a 500 Linebaugh revolver with a 525 grain Hard Cast Flat Point with a muzzle velocity of 1100 FPS for 1176 FPE

parker_buffalo.jpg

There was blood pumping out of the entrance and exit holes...Very impressive performance even tho the FPE was rather low.....

You need energy to get the results you need yet mathematical energy in and of itself is useless unless a bullet either expands or gets lucky enough to hit a bone and produce bone fragment projectiles to cause decent wound paths and bleeding. Without a supporting cast raw energy isnt the best factor however energy that is harnessed properly is invaluable.

I'll be using the 240 SMK this year. I like the 200 AB very much as well, but the big 240 penetrates farther, makes a bigger hole, drifts less in the wind and is more accurate in my rifle. It's just hard to say no to that.

so it penetrates farther, drifts less in the wind, makes a larger wound channel, and is more accurate. yeah, yeah, but other than those few particulars,why would one use it?

This difficulty (or impossibility) of using kinetic energy as a frame of reference is that you can not translate mathematical formulas into actual lethality.

IE...... you can have a 22-250 have the same or more energy with a 45-70. In my experience the 45-70 is a fantastic elk killer. The 22-250 is not.

I'll be using the 240 SMK this year. I like the 200 AB very much as well, but the big 240 penetrates farther, makes a bigger hole, drifts less in the wind and is more accurate in my rifle. It's just hard to say no to that.

Jon A,

What would be the max. velocity one could get out of 26" factory 300 RUM using the 240 gr. SMK? I have a hard time believing that a 3000 ft/sec is possible, I would tend to believe that 2800 to 2850 is more feasible.

A couple of weeks ago:

3-18First.jpg

From a 26.7" barrel. That's a little warm though.

Since this is the first summer I've used Nosler brass, I think my initial (made in the winter) assesment of not having to drop that load with that brass was in error.

Anyway, as you can see my standard load of 101 US869 with Nosler Brass makes 3045 in 80 degree temps. Yes, that's too warm, the brass won't last very long at that.

However, that's the load I'm going to be using without change. Out of a bucket of icewater (refridgerated all night before) that same load chronographs 2970. Perfect.

In short, you can add 100 fps at least to your expectations when using US869. 2950 from a 26" 300 RUM is perfectly mild. Well over 3000 fps, yes, is pushing it. I'd drop that load 2 grains for summer to keep the velocity around or below the 3000 fps mark in the heat.

As I've mentioned in part earlier in this topic and several others, I'm at or just above 3000 fps with 26" 10 twist 300RUM with REM brass and the 240SMK. Just turn off the high spots on the necks and put the 240's on the lands with 104.5g US869 behind them. 1/2 mile groups are looking pretty good. Gonna stretch out further soon and confirm. Cold weather load. On third or fourth firing and pockets are still good on most of them. Pockets seem fairly variable in REM brass. Some will get too loose (for me) in one or two firings. Others of the same load last much longer...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.