Best long range elk load for a 300 RUM?

wyobmf

Hello,
I am currentley using a 150 GRN Lazaroni coated tripple shock with 100 GRNs of RL-25 and getting 3670 FPS. I have killed 2 big bulls with this load. One at 720 yds and 1 at 850 yds. Is there any way I could improve this load better for elk?
What does everybody else use for 300 RUM elk loads?
Thanks

That seems like a light bullet for elk. I would feel more comfortable shooting a 200 grain accubond or something. They have BC numbers in the 500's if I remember right.

It does seam light, but It has more lb/ft at long range than any other bullet weight.

It does seam light, but It has more lb/ft at long range than any other bullet weight.

.369bc 150g .308 Barnes TSX

.711bc 240g .308 SMK
From Sierra Infinity software...

Your load at 6500ft, 35 deg, 3670fps from the Lazz:

800yds energy: 1789 ft. lbs.
1000yds energy: 1388 ft. lbs.

240SMK load at 6500ft, 35 deg, 3000 fps from 300RUM:

800yds energy: 2947 ft. lbs.
1000yds energy: 2590 ft. lbs.

The Lazz might get even more out of the SMK...

Last edited:
My bad, never ran it up to a 240 Gn.
The gun is a Rem 700, Just using lazaroni coated bullets.
Would that be a better long range load?
Thanks

I personally think the 200 gr Accubond is perfect for long range use in the .300 RUM. Short range too, as I killed a 6 point bull at 42 yards with my load. If 3200 fps at 42 yards won't tear a bullet up, what will? mtmuley

I personally use 180g's... You'll get the highest BC from the TSX's using that... I probably won't shoot anything else while hunting out of my 300rum but TSX's. While other bullets work well... My opinion is TSX's outperform once it hits! Others will be right it will be easier with a higher BC bullet to make those longer shots. Once I move out of the .308 bullets and into a .338 I'll probably be shooting SMK or Accubonds

do a search for .300RUM loads in the 'HANDLOADING' section you'll find a ton of info.
for what its worth - my pet load has been
200gr accubonds
91gr H-1000
federal large rifle mag primers
3.600" OAL

I have killed antelope/deer/elk all with this load, from 50-584yards even shot a deer at 50ish yards and had no problems with meat damage.

good luck!

This is what I get using the 200 gr. Acubond bc=0.588
and lazzeroni says that the 150 gr. has a bc = 0.428

I'm using standard atmosphere values for 5000 ft of elevation.

Track-1 = Lazzeroni 150 gr.
Track-2 = Accubond 200 gr.

676yg50.jpg

I would not put much wieght in energy figures,they are meaningless bullet wieght is a nice advantage tho.............
thumb.gif

I would not put much wieght in energy figures,they are meaningless bullet wieght is a nice advantage tho.............
thumb.gif

jwp475,

I guess the debate never ends. :D

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion.

KE = ½ * m * V²

In my simple way of looking at it,

"no energy" = "no motion"
"no motion" = "no penetration"
"no penetration" = "no death"

I simply can't see how enery is "meaningless". :)

I know there are many debates about this. I have read articles that for the life in me I don't know what they're talking about. To me is like saying: "your heart beat don't mean nothig" SURE IT DOES, it means I'm alive!!!!

This is not to be contradictory, just explaining my views.
thumb.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.