Best long range cartridge for a .473 bolt face LA

what a down grade... 150 gr at 3100 to 140 at 2700.... he lost almost 300 yds usable range

Probably have to give that distinction to the .284 caliber in either the .280AI or .284 of some design. Both capable of pushing a 180 at 3000 fps with excellent accuracy. Puts the 180 ELD in the running given its high BC number of .797. Not sure I read if the OP stated what type of LR shooting but the ELD kills very well. Not alot of positive words on its competitive use as I've heard complaints of bullet failure. I personally haven't had that experience but I don't shoot competitively. If I lose a bullet on paper, I replace it with another. No harm no foul. I know in the last 9+ years since this thread started, a lot more excellent target and hunting bullets have arrived. Makes a lot of .473 cartridges an excellent LR option.

I want to rebarrel an old 270 post 64 model 70 of mine. The barrel is in tough shape. I'd like enough punch to take elk to 700 yards or so if I ever get the opportunity.

What would be the best performing deer and elk cartridge for this project? I was thinking 284 Win or 280 AI. My only requirement is that they feed well and I've read about feeding issues with both of these chamberings.

Thanks for any advice.
Check out Feenix's 30 Gibbs on another thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.