Something similar to a 223 with a .473 bolt face.

I used the 260 Remington as the basis for a rebarrel and here's the partial list

Pick one

24C2D854-97B9-4B59-A3B8-5FFE3F62419D.jpeg

I built a 6 dasher for the same thing.... at least I told my wife that... and for her of course. I did a 16.5" proof sendero on a Bat Igniter. That little rifle still hammers and has no recoil. Just shot a coyote yesterday from the deck at 770 yards with it launching a 105 A Max at 2780 fps. If you need anymore info from me let me know.

20211124_102434.jpg

I love my TS Customs 6BR. It's light recoiling but not a super light build (18" light Palma, Mac A-3A). As stated above, very easy to load for and shoots 90 Scenars, 105 amd 108's well. Factory ammo is easy to come by thanks to all the improved BR variations stealing its thunder. I also have a light weight 22 Creedmoor and its very manageable shooting 75 ELDMs at just under 3500 fps. Also easy to load for but barrel life might be limited. Both are lazer beams on rock chucks and I wouldn't hesitate to have my kids use on deer/antelope.

I really like my 6 Dasher. 22" benchmark4 contour, EH1, MBM. Currently shooting 105 Berger hunting. Wanting to try a load with 70 HH at some point. About 10 lbs with bipod.

I was thinking a 22-250 might be a bit much, but it's one I am considering for sure. I grew up shooting a 22-250 and loved it.
Download it to .223 Rem Velocities ( 3,200- 3,400 FPS ) with,.. a 50 Grain, Bullet,.. NO,.. kick EM'
IMR 4895,.. IS, your Friend as, it's accurate at, Lower Charges !

I'd just build a 233 on something like a Bighorn that can easily be switched to a different bolt face in the future. It's about a 2 minute job when the time comes. I know you said you want to avoid that, but it's a cheap and easy way to avoid downloading or dealing with a barrel burner while achieving your goals. You also get the advantages of 223, like excellent availability of relatively cheap components and factory ammo, which will let you give your kids a seemingly unlimited supply of ammo while they're learning.

Last edited:
If you're building this why not go the other direction and just go with the Bighorn action so you can swap both bolt and barrel. Then just go 223. Although there are several lower 22-250 loads that shoot just fine and wouldn't put you all that far over a 223.

This makes sense. I am surprised that it has so little recoil shooting a 105. I actually have a ton of 108 ELDMs. So I would likely shoot those as I already have them.
This sounds like a really good route and may be the best one for my kids.
Get an 8 twist barrel for the 105-108 class bullets and you can still shoot 55gr Noslers or 58gr Hornadys for shooting small critters or just punching some paper. The 105-108 bullets are fine for shooting whitetails at moderate distances. The kids won't grow out of a 6mmBR too fast.

Quality brass is around - you just have to look, but high end 6BR brass is available.

Last edited:
I know this might not be in your cards but I bought my "wife and kids" aka myself a howa mini action in 6.5 Grendel. Paid $560 for the rifle and with Barnes factory ammo its shooting .6-.7moa. It came in a Tupperware chassis with an adjustable ar15 style butt stock. I put a timney trigger in it and a vg6 brake on it and it has nearly zero recoil. It's compact and handy as a pocket on a shirt!

A decent chambered barrel is going to cost you at least $560 unless you already have the reamer and do the work yourself. Save the fuss and buy a mini action for the kids. Howa is selling them in 6arc now also. Just a thought

I'd just build a 233 on something like a Bighorn that can easily be switched to a different bolt face in the future. It's about a 2 minute job when the time comes. I know you said you want to avoid that, but it's a cheap and easy way to avoid downloading or dealing with a barrel burner while achieving your goals. You also get the advantages of 223, like excellent availability of relatively cheap components and factory ammo, which will let you give your kids a seemingly unlimited supply of ammo while they're learning.
This was my very first thought. I was hoping to go with a lighter action was my only reason from leaning away from the TL3 or SR3. I may still go this route. I am either doing a Bighorn 223/6 creed or a 6br/6creed as of now.