Something similar to a 223 with a .473 bolt face.

Tidus56

Hey all, just sold a 204 Ruger I was going to use for my 5-8 year old kids. It just wasn't a great overall fit because LOP wasn't adjustable. So it's time to build a gun to replace the 204 Ruger I sold but it must have a .473 bolt face so it can be turned into a 6mm Creedmoor later in life.
The goal is light recoil shooting a 22 caliber bullet or possibly 6mm. I have never tried the BR line of cartridges but I am wondering if they might be the fit I need, any other suggestions?
I would do a 223 but I just don't want to do bolt face swaps or buy multiple bolts. Anyone have any thoughts right off the top of their heads?

I was thinking a 22-250 might be a bit much, but it's one I am considering for sure. I grew up shooting a 22-250 and loved it.

How about a 22br
Yeah this is what I am thinking as well. Figured I would gather as many other opinions as possible. Only issue I have with 22BR is brass. I really prefer to get ADG, Alpha or Lapua head stamped brass.

Thought about a 6BR Norma? Brass is readily available (or it used to be), very light recoil, insanely accurate, and one of the easiest cartridges there is to load for.

Thought about a 6BR Norma? Brass is readily available (or it used to be), very light recoil, insanely accurate, and one of the easiest cartridges there is to load for.
Which bullet weight do you shoot out if it? Yes I have thought hard on it. I think it or the 22 BR fit the bill well. I just don't have any experience with either. Recoil is the biggest thing I am wondering about.

Anything in the 105 to 110 range with somewhere around 30 grains of Varget and CCI 450s will give you over 2800 FPS and very little recoil. Loading for it takes the least effort of any caliber I've ever owned which is why I think a lot of PRS shooters have switched to a straight 6BR. Also outstanding caliber to get them into long range shooting without being a barrel burner.

Anything in the 105 to 110 range with somewhere around 30 grains of Varget and CCI 450s will give you over 2800 FPS and very little recoil. Loading for it takes the least effort of any caliber I've ever owned which is why I think a lot of PRS shooters have switched to a straight 6BR. Also outstanding caliber to get them into long range shooting without being a barrel burner.
This makes sense. I am surprised that it has so little recoil shooting a 105. I actually have a ton of 108 ELDMs. So I would likely shoot those as I already have them.
This sounds like a really good route and may be the best one for my kids.

This makes sense. I am surprised that it has so little recoil shooting a 105. I actually have a ton of 108 ELDMs. So I would likely shoot those as I already have them.
This sounds like a really good route and may be the best one for my kids.
Maybe someone else with a 6BR in a light rifle could chime in. My experience is with a 20 pound rifle with a brake so I can free recoil it like a 22. I do know a 6BR shooting 105s has around 6 lbs of recoil compared to a 223 with 60s at just over 3 lbs. A 308 shooting 168s is over twice the recoil of the 6BR.