Savage LA with .473 bolt face - which LR caliber?

TORCHRIDER

I have a Savage long action with a .30-06 bolt face that I want to turn into a 1000 yard paper puncher / Steel thumper / deer rifle. What caliber do you recommend that will fit this bolt head / magazine and provide good results? Have been thinking about the :

6.5/06
6.5/.284
.280AI
.284 Win
others?

What is your opinion?

Last edited:
Re: Savage LA with .470 bolt face - which LR caliber?

Without hesitation .284win!

However you do know that buying different bolt heads for a savage is really easy, right? So don't let the bolt head govern your caliber choice. Get what you want, first and foremost.

How important is barrel life for you? Since this is a savage you can -with minimal equipment, change barrels, and have a quiver full of back ups. In that case I would go with the 6.5-284 win as it is a more "proven" 1000yard caliber than a straight .284win.

Re: Savage LA with .470 bolt face - which LR caliber?

Thanks Oliveralan, I really wanted to go with the 7mm WSM, but not sure what I would need to change other than the barrel. Can you assist in pointing me to what I need and where to purchase it?

Also, does anyone make a 7WSM barrel with std. shank and muzzle brake?

I have an older (non accutrigger) 110 with flat rear receiver.

Thanks!

Dave

Without hesitation .284win!

However you do know that buying different bolt heads for a savage is really easy, right? So don't let the bolt head govern your caliber choice. Get what you want, first and foremost.

How important is barrel life for you? Since this is a savage you can -with minimal equipment, change barrels, and have a quiver full of back ups. In that case I would go with the 6.5-284 win as it is a more "proven" 1000yard caliber than a straight .284win.

I believe most barrel makers will turn a 7WSM on a small shank. a couple years ago I built a .300 RUM on a Stevens 200 with a standard bolt face. I put a Shilen barrel on that one and had no problem getting the small shank. Any good gunsmith should be able to thread and fit a barrel to the small shank as well as thread and fit a brake.

Only other thing I changed was the bolt face. Used one of these;

Savage Arms Bolt Head Long Action Model 110 to 116 Push Feed Small Firing Pin Hole Right Hand Magnum 7mm Remington Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum - MidwayUSA

Believe this one would work as well but not positive

Savage Arms Bolt Head Long Action Model 116 Right Hand Control Feed Remington Ultra Magnum and Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) - MidwayUSA

Careful to make sure and get the one that matches your firing pin

Savage Rifle Gun Parts Information at MidwayUSA

I built mine as a single shot so I didn't have to do anything to the mag box to get it to feed, but if you want a repeater you may have to tune the box a little or get a new one to get it to feed.

This might work but may take a little playing with to feed the fat WSM

Savage Arms Magazine Box Standard Magnum (300 Winchester Magnum) Model 110, 111 Long Action - MidwayUSA

In short, 7WSM would be no problem. 7 Rem mag would be another good one to look at. It would be simpler to get it to feed well I would think, Not sure though as I haven't tried.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bold head for the Savages are easy to get and even easier to change. Right now I`m plaing with a 6-284. I haven`t been playing with it to long and have not streached it past 700 yrds. I built it as a varmint rifle and have not cronoed the loads yet, but expect to find that my SD is to high as I`m getting more vertical spread than I think I should. I`m useing the Berger 105 gr. hunting bullets and the way it is right now it should take every coyote at 500 yrds. and over 50% at 700 yrds. if I do my part. For a strictly 1,000yrd. gun I think I would go with the 6.5-284, but may try this one if I get it doing what I want.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.