Best Bullet for Mountain Goats

muley75

I was lucky enough to draw a Utah Mountain Goat tag this year.

However I am new to reloading and I don't rifle hunt a lot any more. I would if I could draw more tags.

Anyways, I inherited my wife's grandpa's reloading equipment a few years ago and have had some fun reloading. I have been using a Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet.

I shoot a Remington 270 Mountain Rifle with a 22" barrel. So long range is pretty limited, 400 yards and under. I have only shot a small bear with the Noslers and it worked great, but I am wondering if there is a better bullet I should be using. I have been looking at Barnes, but have no experience with them. I know Goats are big animals so I need the best bullet available since I am shoot a smaller caliber. Just looking for opinions and recommendations.

There are some better butler but the b tip will be fine for goats I have dropped elk and many African game with them and find them to be a great all round bullet. Also love the amax. For a pure hunting bullet but ones that I haven't been able to get to shoot as well as the above go with a partition scirocco or a frame if you have the ability to shoot long range go with the more accurate bullet goats aren't tough but not that tough with them I would focus on shot placement

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.