Need a mountain Goat Load

Several goats...how many lives do you have?
Here in Oregon you only get one tag in your lifetime. So I only have experience with one goat.

I shot my Rocky Mt Billy Goat with a Hornady 45-cal 300gr XTP at 92 yards.

Where are you hunting? If there is little pressure, you can pretty much walk up to them.

At 500+ yards, you are going to have difficulty judging a big billy from an average one or maybe even a nanny. They all look good at that range.

Congratulations on drawing a billy goat tag. You are in for a memorable hunt.

The meat is incredible. You will know in six months after you eat some.
Best advice I can give is not about bullet selection, but to start getting in shape now. Where the billies call home and roam is no joke.

I didn't draw a tag, I'm going to British Columbia. I'm very aware of the fitness level required to kill a goat. BUT, as the forum says I'm trying to find a reliable load for planting one of these things, I've seen way too many recovery pictures where the horns are missing and the goats head is scrambled from doing a 500' leap of faith.

Several goats...how many lives do you have?
Here in Oregon you only get one tag in your lifetime. So I only have experience with one goat.

I shot my Rocky Mt Billy Goat with a Hornady 45-cal 300gr XTP at 92 yards.

Where are you hunting? If there is little pressure, you can pretty much walk up to them.

At 500+ yards, you are going to have difficulty judging a big billy from an average one or maybe even a nanny. They all look good at that range.

Congratulations on drawing a billy goat tag. You are in for a memorable hunt.

The meat is incredible. You will know in six months after you eat some.
Best advice I can give is not about bullet selection, but to start getting in shape now. Where the billies call home and roam is no joke.

This was exactly what I was getting at. Don't get too worried about bc of a bullet. It just won't matter unless you go find your billy get close enough to make sure he is the one, then hike away so you can shoot him at long range. They don't run away if they see you either. I had a stand off with one on a hike. He wanted me to get off the trail so he could pass. I wanted the same from him. Stand off at about 15'. Lasted a few minutes and he finally with indignance went around me. He was huge too.

Anyway get you a good hard hitting hunting bullet and go get a trophy of a lifetime.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.