Need a 300RUM Coyote load.

I've killed many a Coyote and a few Wolves with my 300 RUM using what was in the chamber and intended for big stuff. The 200 AB.

I would have had to pass on a few if I had to unload and reload with a different bullet.

Oh same thing here...I'm mostly thinking of the situations that occur when I'm moving between rattling locations, or still hunting areas (in the truck).

Last year I think probably 7 coyotes were during actual on the ground situations, and the rest were targets of opportunity when moving locations.

110gr VMax or 155 Amax huh? Not that is intriguing.
What velocities are you getting, and what loads are you using with these?

Oh same thing here...I'm mostly thinking of the situations that occur when I'm moving between rattling locations, or still hunting areas (in the truck).

That's precisley when run into what you're looking for.

There's enough variables on the hunt that you can't control, why confuse the issue.

No doubt you will gain velocity with the lighter bullets, but you're giving up precious BC points that may mean the difference between hit or miss at extended ranges in unfavorable conditions.

Case in point; killed this while Grizzly hunting in Alaska in September. He got the 200 grain AB.

IMG_08292.jpg

The two wolves I shot last year were with the 155 AMAX using my 308 at a medium velocity. The damage was minimal to the hides due to a bigger than coyote boddy and the lower velocity. They were head on and they took the shots to the chest. The bullets never exited. Velocity was 2800 at the muzzle. I have driven these as high as 3600 with my 300 RUM. Powder was Retumbo, RL-25 and US869. RL-25 did the best for accuracy, velocity and no excessive pressure. I dont remeber the powder charges as I didnt mess with it much (I decided that 3 or 4 different loads would be too time consuming to learn and too hard on my barrel.) I settled on the 200 AB and used that for everything until recently. Now I use the 178 AMAX for deer size critters and smaller and the 200 AB for elk and up. I dont mind using 2 different loads. I practice extensivly with both and take the appropriate range card to the field. Using 2 loads has worked for me so far with no mistakes. If you are hell bent on a specifec varmint load and the hide is of value to you, stay away from the 110 VM and any of the AMAX's (any of the VM's for that matter). The accubond or X bullets while not as sexy as some other bullets will save the hide much better. If you want a blazing fast bullet with a very high BC for its weight and you want to save the hide I would shoot none other than the 155 Lapua Scenar. It has a better than .500 BC and can be launched between 3450-3600 FPS in the RUM depending on your barrel. I use a 27.25" barrel with a 12 twist. A shorter barrel with a faster twist may give a bit less than 3600. This bullet also holds together very well for minimal hide damage. If you dont care about the hide then some of the others mentioned here already will more than fill the need such as the 110's or other 155's. The nice thing about the 155 AMAX is it can be driven fast and has a decent BC. It is advertised at .460 and I get .474 in my 308. I never tested the BC in my 300 RUM though.

430645-big.JPG

Last edited:
i shoot one bullet weight out of my 300 rum for everything i shoot with it. 180 accubonds soon to be 200 gr accubonds if i ever stop working overtime

JIM

Corlane's in Dawson can't get them???? Weird... Are they available on Ebay??

I bought my 40gr Noslers for my 204 on Ebay.. worked well... no issues @ the border. It might be worth a try for you...

Try S.I.R. Mailorder out of winipeg or as a last resort Wholesale Sports out of Calgary..

Cabela's now owns S.I.R. so they should have good availability on most items..

Corlane's in Dawson can't get them???? Weird... Are they available on Ebay??

I bought my 40gr Noslers for my 204 on Ebay.. worked well... no issues @ the border. It might be worth a try for you...

Try S.I.R. Mailorder out of winipeg or as a last resort Wholesale Sports out of Calgary..

Cabela's now owns S.I.R. so they should have good availability on most items..

Corlanes is where I got my second to last batch actually. However, its a 3 hour drive from Mack to there...And shipping is $$.

As to ebay, I bought/stole about 4 boxes of X derivitaves in some form or other...Right up until they no longer allowed bullet sales.

110 grn v-max

105 grns reloader 25 is a good load in my 300 ultra. but you wont have a hide left 10" entrance hole smokes em.gun)

KodiakHntr with the 110 V-Max you problem will be it staying together. A friend and I have played with them before. @ about 3900 fps out of a 1 and 10 they turn into gray dust. Out of my RUM I played around with the 110 SP, same BC and I had them over 4100 Fps with a factory Barrel. I did not spend much time with it, so I do not know how Accurate it is. BTW my friend runs them out of a 300 WM @ 3800 fps and it is devastating on dear.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.