Best Binoculars (8x42) for under $1000?

Hello,

I am looking for a better set of binoculars than my current Steiner 10x42 XC, and have not really bought high end binoculars in this price range (approx $1000 budget). The Steiner's are nice, and I like them, but am hoping for more sharpness and a wider field of view by looking at 8x.

My usage: East Coast primarily, limited out West. I have property, and spend a fair amount of time also watching birds and various wildlife. Right now, my leading candidates are Leica Trinovid 8x42 and Zeiss Conquest 8x42 but I know that some of the more experienced people here may have some better suggestions - any advice gratefully accepted.

Thank you in advance!
look at vortex there great plus great warranty

Hello,

I am looking for a better set of binoculars than my current Steiner 10x42 XC, and have not really bought high end binoculars in this price range (approx $1000 budget). The Steiner's are nice, and I like them, but am hoping for more sharpness and a wider field of view by looking at 8x.

My usage: East Coast primarily, limited out West. I have property, and spend a fair amount of time also watching birds and various wildlife. Right now, my leading candidates are Leica Trinovid 8x42 and Zeiss Conquest 8x42 but I know that some of the more experienced people here may have some better suggestions - any advice gratefully accepted.

Thank you in advance!
Look at Kahels Swaro's brother Company

26Nosler, 10x32 is getting a bit small on the exit pupil for me as I grow older. I use my binoculars a lot at twilight and dawn, and more light is appreciated. I looked at the Swaro SLCs and they look nice but $2K+ is definitely out of the price range. I could probably swing a bit more (up to probably $1500) but wanted to keep it under $1K if possible. It seems like there is quite a jump between the $1K binos straight up to around $2K, which is more than I am willing to spend.
Maybe you should be looking for Leica 7x42 if you use them a lot at dust and dawn. They will be lighter than most and gather more light. They come in clear glass from the past , also HD glass and now HD plus. Run old for $500 - $700. the new HD and HD plus will be more.

Thanks all for the input. Doug (THANK YOU!) aimed me at a demo set of Trinovids, and in keeping with LRH, I bought the demo Ultravids they had online after talking with his brother.

Great price, and great customer service - thank you again.
You'll never regret those. I have an ancient 7x35 Leitz Wetzlar which I had reconditioned last winter and I know it's impossible (because of better lens coatings) but almost as good as my Swarovski ELs.

I have both the 10x42 Swarovski and the 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B and like the Leicas better. I can't tell any difference between them in low light conditions. I owned the Swaros a few years before the Leicas and on a Colorado Elk hunt the Swaros were vastly superior to my buddy's Nikons. He and I could easily see the Elk on a far ridge with my Swaros and not with his Nikons both 10x42s. Since I can't tell the difference on deer hunts between the Swaros and Leicas, I assume they will both be the same if I ever go on another Elk hunt.

I will not buy another Swarovski product though. Along with the binos, I also purchased the Swaro 8x30 Range Finder for $1000. From the 1st day, the activation button was stiff and sometimes difficult to activate to get a range reading. Thought it just needed to be broken in and it would loosen up later. I was wrong, so a year later I sent it back to Swaro to have it repaired with a letter explaining my experience with it. They wanted $350 to repair their defective range finder. Couldn't believe that they didn't stand behind their expensive product so I told them to forget it. They lost my business forever. Thought you'd like to know about them not standing behind their expensive products.

Hello,

Thank you in advance!
I just went through this with my son last year. We went to Europtics and got a bunch out during low light to compare. We looked at Leupold, kowa, Zeiss, Swarovski, vortex, and Leica. The salesman kept pushing Swarovski. We started the process of elimination during low light hours a we came down to 8 power binoculars seemed to work a little better at low light. We continued the elimination process and we were down to Swarovski, zeiss, Leica and vortex. After 3 of us including the sales rep we all 3 agreed that the vortex razors were better. Even the rep said that he was surprised. But I believe that you can get a good piece of glass or bad piece of glass in them all. Best to look for what seems to fit your eyes and also go somewhere they have a big selection and compare looking outside in low light at the the objects. My son got the vortex razor 8x42 under 1000.00. But again everybody's eyes are different.

Hello,

Thank you in advance!
The original Vortex Razor is hard to beat with it's brightness, light weight, and great Vortex warranty.

I went through this same quest 2 years ago and I went one step future and ordered what I thought was some of the best for that $1000 range. I wanted 10x42 so I ordered Zeiss Conquest, Maven B2, Nikon Monarch HG, There was very little difference, I ended up buying the Zeiss because I saved $150 bucks on the deal plus I also got a bad land bio case that was worth $150 but with that said the best Glass for the money were the Maven! hands down they were crisper, clearer and just felt good. If price had no factor then I agree with dmj Swarovski are the best no question asked period. Just to throw another option for you last year I bought TRACT 12x56 These bio's for the money are hard to beat,TORIC 8X42 Binoculars SCHOTT HT $684. I also have a pair of Steiner 10x42 XC and all of the above bio's will blow them out of the water.
Hope this helps you. Just to muddy the water a little further Vortex HD in this price range are great as well, Their warrantee is second to no-one. You can leave them on the hood of your truck and they fall off at 60 mph and they will replace them.

Most of my shooting friends have moved to 8x42 Swarovski. Any good binoculars will have a weight issue if worn long enough so get a full harness . This is one issue I have with Swarovski, you have to get their harness because of the patent harness lugs on the binoculars.
I recently got to try a set of Meopta which for the price were exceptionally clear and are more reasonable priced.
Likewise Vortex do a good set at around $500 but spending more than that on Vortex bins, as far as I can see , only give an improved chassis construction with no improvement in optics. No quibble fix or replace for the lifetime of the product is very attractive.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.