Best barrel manufacturer

Maybe something like this in a more sophisticated barrel tester.

A Remington action modified front end to screw on an AR15 barrel to test before assembly into an upper.

In the past we issue barrels to our juniors just ramdomly. Then, I thought there lies the possibility that we could have possibly had issued some of the best barrels to the starting shooters and vice versa. This set up allows us to screw AR15 barrels without the extension into a bolt gun to test on the cradle.

The stock the action was bedded on was shortened to allow us to grab the barrels and spin them in and out with a side entry wrench. A 10 minute barrel swap.

In the process we did find the precision distribution among the barrels. Last batch we had a couple that printed way less than the half the 1 minute X ring at 600.

The barrels, as tested, are ready to have the barrel extension retorqued back on after testing. The gas port already drilled/reamed.

Did the program yield good field success? We believed so. One of our juniors, a young lady that got issued the top shooting barrel, a Distinguished Rifleman Badge holder, a Presidents Hundred Tab holder, and a High Master, consistently shoots 490s, 790s in matches with high x count.

Note: Not taking the credit for the riflewoman's success, to the contrary. The barrel is just one of the enablers for her to perform at her best.

View attachment 382723View attachment 382724View attachment 382725View attachment 382726View attachment 382727

I case you are wondering where is the recoil lug.. that machined front end adapter lip is the recoil lug.
Now that is just plain interesting never seen that definitely has my interest .

---I have a very straight shooting Shilen barrel on my 10/22 Ruger...sage rats hate this rifle
---My 308win has a Robert W. Hart & Son barrel on it...it used to be Leupold's test bed in Beaverton, Oregon. Handloads are bugholes at 100 yards
--- @Alex Wheeler is building a rifle for me with a Bartlein barrel...can't wait to see how it does

Maybe something like this in a more sophisticated barrel tester.

A Remington action modified front end to screw on an AR15 barrel to test before assembly into an upper.

In the past we issue barrels to our juniors just ramdomly. Then, I thought there lies the possibility that we could have possibly had issued some of the best barrels to the starting shooters and vice versa. This set up allows us to screw AR15 barrels without the extension into a bolt gun to test on the cradle.

The stock the action was bedded on was shortened to allow us to grab the barrels and spin them in and out with a side entry wrench. A 10 minute barrel swap.

In the process we did find the precision distribution among the barrels. Last batch we had a couple that printed way less than the half the 1 minute X ring at 600.

The barrels, as tested, are ready to have the barrel extension retorqued back on after testing. The gas port already drilled/reamed.

Did the program yield good field success? We believed so. One of our juniors, a young lady that got issued the top shooting barrel, a Distinguished Rifleman Badge holder, a Presidents Hundred Tab holder, and a High Master, consistently shoots 490s, 790s in matches with high x count.

Note: Not taking the credit for the riflewoman's success, to the contrary. The barrel is just one of the enablers for her to perform at her best.

View attachment 382723View attachment 382724View attachment 382725View attachment 382726View attachment 382727

I case you are wondering where is the recoil lug.. that machined front end adapter lip is the recoil lug.
Thank you for your work to help young shooters
Awesome!

This what makes it fun to read. Camp Perry today. National Trophy Individual. 128 juniors, Charisma placed 2nd. # 40 out of 789 competitors, military and civilians combined.

Shilen Ratchet 7.5T

Screenshot_20220802-153832_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220802-154608_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Another Shilen Ratchet 7.5T

Justin placed 2nd Overall... against the top guns in the military marksmaship teams and best civilians from different states.

Screenshot_20220802-211048_Chrome.jpg

Justin established the Police Record last year with a Shilen Ratchet 7.5T. He broke his own record this year.

Add: Hefner shoots a Shilen from the same batch of barrel blanks.

Screenshot_20220802-211835_Chrome.jpg

And, he established a new civilian record with that stellar performance.

Screenshot_20220802-213500_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I have excellent results from quite a few different custom barrels over the years. More recently, my selections are generally based on availability/timing. A good gunsmith as important as the barrel manufacturer for me. If I had to pick just one barrel, it would probably be a Kreiger.

I have a Cooper in .270win that shoots bug holes all day long. I believe they use barrels from Wilson Arms of Connecticut. Just my 2 cents.

Interesting that you mention this. I have a 11 year old Cooper in 6.5x284 that has a Wilson Match barrel. Not only is it one if the most accurate and consistent barrels I've owned, but it has in excess of 1100 rounds fired, no deterioration in accuracy,, and very surprisingly, ZERO throat erosion! I'm wondering if I'll live long enough to take advantage of the barrel replacement warranty that came with the rifle!🤡.

---I have a very straight shooting Shilen barrel on my 10/22 Ruger...sage rats hate this rifle
---My 308win has a Robert W. Hart & Son barrel on it...it used to be Leupold's test bed in Beaverton, Oregon. Handloads are bugholes at 100 yards
--- @Alex Wheeler is building a rifle for me with a Bartlein barrel...can't wait to see how it does
What is the barrel length of your 10/22?