Best barrel manufacturer

How do you have barrels that have never been in an action that shoot ragged holes? I'm a little confused

Maybe something like this in a more sophisticated barrel tester.

A Remington action modified front end to screw on an AR15 barrel to test before assembly into an upper.

In the past we issue barrels to our juniors just ramdomly. Then, I thought there lies the possibility that we could have possibly had issued some of the best barrels to the starting shooters and vice versa. This set up allows us to screw AR15 barrels without the extension into a bolt gun to test on the cradle.

The stock the action was bedded on was shortened to allow us to grab the barrels and spin them in and out with a side entry wrench. A 10 minute barrel swap.

In the process we did find the precision distribution among the barrels. Last batch we had a couple that printed way less than the half the 1 minute X ring at 600.

The barrels, as tested, are ready to have the barrel extension retorqued back on after testing. The gas port already drilled/reamed.

Did the program yield good field success? We believed so. One of our juniors, a young lady that got issued the top shooting barrel, a Distinguished Rifleman Badge holder, a Presidents Hundred Tab holder, and a High Master, consistently shoots 490s, 790s in matches with high x count.

Note: Not taking the credit for the riflewoman's success, to the contrary. The barrel is just one of the enablers for her to perform at her best.

20220728_075745.jpg
20200823_182504.jpg
20200823_182313.jpg
20200823_182015.jpg
20200823_183430.jpg

I case you are wondering where is the recoil lug.. that machined front end adapter lip is the recoil lug.

Last edited:
Every barrel manufacturer on this list will replace a defective barrel as soon as they are able. They don't want anyone to be able to spread bad press on their product. Most have a quality control dept that is second to none and the reject pile is surprisingly large. Most of us would be very happy with most of the barrels that don't hit the market.

Maybe something like this in a more sophisticated barrel tester.

A Remington action modified front end to screw on an AR15 barrel to test before assembly into an upper.

In the past we issue barrels to our juniors just ramdomly. Then, I thought there lies the possibility that we could have possibly had issued some of the best barrels to the starting shooters and vice versa. This set up allows us to screw AR15 barrels without the extension into a bolt gun to test on the cradle.

The stock the action was bedded on was shortened to allow us to grab the barrels and spin them in and out with a side entry wrench. A 10 minute barrel swap.

In the process we did find the precision distribution among the barrels. Last batch we had a couple that printed way less than the half the 1 minute X ring at 600.

The barrels, as tested, are ready to have the barrel extension retorqued back on after testing. The gas port already drilled/reamed.

Did the program yield good field success? We believed so. One of our juniors, a young lady that got issued the top shooting barrel, a Distinguished Rifleman Badge holder, a Presidents Hundred Tab holder, and a High Master, consistently shoots 490s, 790s in matches with high x count.

Note: Not taking the credit for the riflewoman's success, to the contrary. The barrel is just one of the enablers for her to perform at her best.

View attachment 382723View attachment 382724View attachment 382725View attachment 382726View attachment 382727

I case you are wondering where is the recoil lug.. that machined front end adapter lip is the recoil lug.
Very nice I haven't run across a setup like that before thank you for the education.

This is a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge situation. Most people will like what shoots well. I'm sure there are examples of each Manufacturer producing good and not so good. You can find a great deal of opinions on every barrel by searching if your into some reading material.
Well said. (There are good & bad in everything I believe)

My "go to" is Hawk Hill......Mr Burkholder's barrels have been consistent shooters for me and he is about an hour up the road. I've purchased blanks and he has done prefits for me and all were good. Really nice fella too.

Are their prices aligned more with Wilson/Criterion or Bartlein/Krieger?
Bartlein/Krieger.....Altus and Southern Precision Rifles carry the blanks. Shawn does prefits in his shop. He is pretty popular in the PRS stuff.

I'm curious on what everyone feels is the best barrel manufacturer. I have used a few different manufacturers over the years Bartlein, Shilen, Carbon 6, Broughton , and Proof research. My opinion is stuck between Broughton and Proof Research. I bought the Broughton as a blank and fit it to the action and it shot like a dream. My Proof was bought as a pre-fit and I installed it on a Zermatt Origin, I had to use a stock off a different rifle to do the break in but was impressed with what I saw after breaking it in. I want to hear everyone's two cents
I'll stick with Bartline

My "go to" is Hawk Hill......Mr Burkholder's barrels have been consistent shooters for me and he is about an hour up the road. I've purchased blanks and he has done prefits for me and all were good. Really nice fella too.
Bartlein/Krieger.....Altus and Southern Precision Rifles carry the blanks. Shawn does prefits in his shop. He is pretty popular in the PRS stuff.

I've never had barrel brands as easy to tune, and break in as fast as HH, so another vote.

On the pro's choices, Bartlein seems to produce more and sponsor more, logical #1 choice in that sport.