Light contour barrel manufacturer choice

markg208

I known it's pretty well established that all of the top barrel makers are capable of making great barrels in the heavier contours but I'd like to hear feedback on the accuracy of different barrel makers light contour barrels (#3 and under) in stainless. It's hard to find much searching the forums on this.

My understanding is that the initial accuracy will still be there but the shots will begin to walk quickly, and much sooner than heavier barrels. It has been some time since I have owned anything less than a 4 benchmark scale, mostly 5's and 3b for a good while.

I known it's pretty well established that all of the top barrel makers are capable of making great barrels in the heavier contours but I'd like to hear feedback on the accuracy of different barrel makers light contour barrels (#3 and under) in stainless. It's hard to find much searching the forums on this.

When I built my .375 AI, I went with the lightest contour barrel that Douglas offered (#3 I think) in match grade stainless steel! Very pleased with the performance…..I suspect that it will shoot far better than I can!

I developed a load a month or so ago during the heat of summer, only allowing time between shots to write down chrono #'s, and reposition on the bags. The last 2, 3 shot groups were pretty darn good….with the best just under 1/2".

Since 1990, the rifle has always produced good groups…..when I hold it properly! 😉

I don't shoot long strings rapidly…..so have little recent info on it's ability to keep the groups tight! Also, though many may disagree, I believe that my "full length bedding" on a light contour barrel may contribute to it's maintaining good groups without allowing any cooling time! JMO

Addendum: if I can't "gitt'r done" with 3 shots with of a total a bit over 17000 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle (for you folks that believe in the ft/lbs energy thing) …..I'm in "really deep doo doo"! 😂 memtb

Last edited:
Douglas Barrels, will make you anything you want. Give them the measurements and they will make it, or if you have a barrel already. Send it to them and they will duplicate it. 6 to 8 week turnaround time. There internet site is not the best, you need to call them. Great people. 👍

My understanding is that the initial accuracy will still be there but the shots will begin to walk quickly, and much sooner than heavier barrels. It has been some time since I have owned anything less than a 4 benchmark scale, mostly 5's and 3b for a good while.

If a barrel begins to "walk" it wasn't properly stress relieved. It's a bad barrel.

I built many ultra light Mountain rifles over the years, I guaranteed 5 shots under 1 inch with 3 shots under 5/8 of a inch, I used pacnor barrels, in the mountain rifle countour, barrels cut with a 22 inch length on a Remington short action and a 2.5 X 8 Leopold field ready were about 6lbs 4 oz , I felt pacnor made my job easier,

I have a Benchmark Remington KS contour chambered in 280 AI. The photos show three consecutive three shot groups, first at 200, then at 300 with 2 MOA elevation, then adjust windage left and back down 2 MOA, and another at 200. The rifle weighs 7 pounds 5 ounces scoped and I am shooting 160 gr Accubonds at just under 3000 fps.

IMG_1845.jpeg
IMG_1847.jpeg
IMG_2174.jpeg

I have a Benchmark Remington KS contour chambered in 280 AI. The photos show three consecutive three shot groups, first at 200, then at 300 with 2 MOA elevation, then adjust windage left and back down 2 MOA, and another at 200. The rifle weighs 7 pounds 5 ounces scoped and I am shooting 160 gr Accubonds at just under 3000 fps.

View attachment 499093View attachment 499094View attachment 499095

Those are pretty respectable groups! Did you allow a long cool-down between shots, or shoot them as rapidly as you could acquire a good hold on target…simulating worst-case field use? memtb

Those are pretty respectable groups! Did you allow a long cool-down between shots, or shoot them as rapidly as you could acquire a good hold on target…simulating worst-case field use? memtb
A couple of minutes between shots. I am an optimist. 😀