Light contour accuracy.

I've got a rem700 mountain in 30-06 that I put an ultralight mpi stock on it. It weighs 6.8 lbs scoped.
The front end jumps a lot, I did put a mbm baby beast on it and that helped alot--- with handloads I get right around 3/4 moa-- but most good factory ammo comes in around 1 1/4- 1 1/2 moa

The barrel does heat up quick though

308 Win w/Adams & Bennett F14 barrel @ 19" & 30-06 w/Shilen featherweight barrel @ 20" - both on Mauser actions. The 30-06 shoots same hole groups, the 308 shoots .5 moa, @ 100 yards. I believe they stiffened up when I cut them down and re-crowned them - less whip. Definitely not long range pieces, but great for what I made them for - hunting off the quads. Each shoots the Barnes 130gr TTSX fast enough to be effective to ~400 yards.

20230115_125932.jpg

10 shot group at 100yds from an all steel proof research tikka lite profile barrel (6 creed). Shot quickly. If a barrel is properly made, profile will not determine accuracy.

The bullet is in the barrel for .200 of an inch during recoil, and of course, the gun moves more on light weights.

There are many ways to skin a cat as you well know in this issue of recoil management. Several things dramatically improved my accuracy:

A. I am right-handed, with the rifle sitting on the rifle rest, I grab the forearm with my left hand making sure that a finger does not touch the barrel. I pull down and back at a 45* angle. For years, I let the forearm sit on the rifle rest, then was squeezing the rear bag with my left hand, I changed that habit, even on benchrest rifles.

B. I installed a Gentry muzzle break on all of my model 7s that were spraying patterns and immediately shrunk the groups tremendously with nothing else done, 243s, 7/08, and 308s.

C. my brother came up with a very unique solution that only a tire store owner could imagine. We knew we were dealing with muzzle flip as a cause of sprayed patterns. He filled the forearm full of those stick-on tire weights that will stay on a wheel at 100 mph. The glue on the wheel weight is adequate, nothing else is needed to keep the weights in place. The small amount of weight in the forearm had a significant effect on accuracy, allowing the tiny model 7's to shoot sub-half inch groups, consistently.

D. I stopped using a Harris bipod and went to using a benchrest with "ears" that could be adjusted in tight on the forearm where the forearm was not flopping around during recoil. I use a Bunny Protector rear bag. I could actually feel the Bi-Pod recoiling like the rifle was on po go sticks when using the harris bi pod!

The vast majority of shooters are bag squeezers with their left hand, perhaps adopting a grip on the forearm with the left hand is a game changer for some, as it was with me. I showed this technique to a Marine Sniper, he was shocked at the groups he was shooting vs gripping the rear bag.

This thread could be a great teaching thread as many mention a "change in Technique" but the devil is in the details. It would be a great thing to hear of how others have come up with a solution, and I am sure that there are many techniques that are more than adequate.

Last edited:
Yes, when I started holding onto the forearm of my lighter rifles is when my groups with them started to shrink. Pulling down and back consistently and definitely keeping the fingers off the barrel.
As always, consistency is the key.

For me, it seems like one of the biggest challenges in getting the best accuracy out of the sporter weight barrels/rifles is technique.
This right here ^^^, the weight or contour of the barrel should have no effect on the accuracy of a barrel. It's how you go about getting it, and most of the time it involves not heating the barrel up while shooting it.
People shoot heavy barrels for a reason, higher numbers of accurate shots before things get a little twisted.
Most of us don't have the patience to spread our shots out over time to ensure that heat is distributed evenly throughout the process. Add in that by taking 1 shot every 5 minutes is a major disruption to your shooting pattern. You shoot 2 touching that 3rd one is getting fired, and that shot may be the disconnect.
I am going to contradict myself here, but I used to go into gun stores to buy Rem 700 classics, yet walk out with another Win model 70 featherweight, and they all shot like crap. Anyway, I had one, a 26-06, which probably shot 1" at 100 for the first 3 shots, but the next 3 were going to be tight. I was not a LR hunter, so none of it mattered.
If a guy pays attention to what really happens, these pencil barrels most likely shoot better than expected.

C. my brother came up with a very unique solution that only a tire store owner could imagine. We knew we were dealing with muzzle flip as a cause of sprayed patterns. He filled the forearm full of those stick-on tire weights that will stay on a wheel at 100 mph. The glue on the wheel weight is adequate, nothing else is needed to keep the weights in place. The small amount of weight in the forearm had a significant effect on accuracy, allowing the tiny model 7's to shoot sub-half inch groups, consistently

I bet that really affected the "balance"! 🤔😉😜

On a serious note…..you have some very good suggestions!

With my rifle, almost 60 ft/lbs. felt recoil…..when shooting from the bench has a "LOT" of vertical jump when firing. I control this a bit by placing my hand on top of the scope, which seems to help minimize the "Jump"! The challenge is to apply even pressure on all shots! memtb

If balance is your thing, add a few weights in the butt.

To go from a rifle that is spraying to a tack driver is addictive to say the least, inexpensive fix also.

These were the plastic stock model 7s.

Last edited:
I'd like to start a poll on what accuracy everyone is getting out of light contour custom stainless steel barrels. (number 2 contour and under) I'm talking consistent accuracy not a cherry picked random group. I had a featherweight contour duplicated and chambered in 308 that I never could get to group consistently better than 1 moa. Just curious as you never really here much about accuracy out of light contours.
A rifle's accuracy depends on many factors in addition to the barrel contour. Especially if you're talking about lightweight hunting rifles. I suggest that you carefully review the total build, both materials and workmanship before deciding it's the barrel contour that is limiting your consistent accuracy. -Ed

How's it shoot?

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I can't find the 6.5mm targets, but sort of remember it was about a minute of angle. The barrel was bored out to 8mm by oregunsmithing.llc. Wayne's phone is (541) 278-4177. The targets show five shot groups run 3/4 - 1 MOA. I use Hammer Hunter 198 grainers averaging 3,054 feet per second.

I don't remember if I mentioned I have a 7mm wildcat that's 7 1/4 lbs. I fired two three shot groups this morning at 300 yards. The first was .710" while the second was 1 3/8". The bullet is the Hammer Hunter Tipped with Lee Factory Crimped with 7/16 rotation in the top "groove". The velocity varied from 3,649 up to 3,681. The Sd was 10. Hey, jsut a minute. I just remember I can post a photo on this sight! I hold the rifles like I would a BB gun.
20230718_100000.jpg

Last edited: