Local smith vs barrel manufacturer

Joefrazell

I'm looking to rebarrel a .300 win, r700 action and have truing done to it. Now I've talked with a local smith with a very very good reputation in the gun world over here and hes recommended a barlein as he's had the best luck with them. I'm wanting to shoot the heavies and he recommends a 8 twist which is fine. Now, barlein has a long wait and will cost me 400 plus for the barrel and around 500 to have the smith do the work. I was looking on hart's website and they will install and true everything for $750 plus some tax and shipping. I realize it's close in pricing but would I be better off to let hart do the work or a very good local smith?

Now I've talked with a local smith with a very very good reputation in the gun world over here

Does this suggest that you are not in the U.S. but in some other country?

Other than this, when all is taken into consideration, the costs from the local gunsmith seem to be on par with the better known and busier gunsmiths in general. Check his schedule and reliability which can help with the decision.

Hart makes button barrels which are less expensive to make due to the faster production rate. They have the edge price-wise over cut rifled barrels (Bartlein) which take longer to make. Hart can discount the package, undercutting the local gunsmith.

Personally, I've use Bartlein barrels for the vast majority of the rifles I've built. The consistency and accuracy is beyond reproach. Unfortunately, their popularity forces a longer wait for custom ordered barrels. But with the advent of stocking dealers as mentioned above, you can, with the touch of a couple of buttons, purchase and receive a new Bartlein barrel in just a few days.

Good Luck with your project!

If you have local that is good, and doesn't take a year, definitely support him. Never know when you'll need something tweaked on short notice, you're more likely to get snappy service from him if you used him the first time.

Yep! I am fortunate to have access to at least 5 reputable gunsmiths within an hour's drive from me, one of which is 2 miles from my house. It is always nice to support the local economy when all possible. I also have access to a few Made in Montana barrels.

Does this suggest that you are not in the U.S. but in some other country?

Other than this, when all is taken into consideration, the costs from the local gunsmith seem to be on par with the better known and busier gunsmiths in general. Check his schedule and reliability which can help with the decision.

Hart makes button barrels which are less expensive to make due to the faster production rate. They have the edge price-wise over cut rifled barrels (Bartlein) which take longer to make. Hart can discount the package, undercutting the local gunsmith.

Personally, I've use Bartlein barrels for the vast majority of the rifles I've built. The consistency and accuracy is beyond reproach. Unfortunately, their popularity forces a longer wait for custom ordered barrels. But with the advent of stocking dealers as mentioned above, you can, with the touch of a couple of buttons, purchase and receive a new Bartlein barrel in just a few days.

Good Luck with your project!

No haha, I live in Idaho. With access to the barrels like this I'll go with the bartlein. Plus this way I can buy a barrel and wait till I'm ready to have it installed so I'm not spending $1000 at one wack. Gunna have him put on a brake also.

while I agree with whats been said 100%,and prefer cut-rifled bbl.'s, Mr hart makes one great bbl,and ive Never ever heard anything but good about any product of his. living where I do I have access to the some of the Best of the best bbl makers in my home state,but through reading many peoples glowing reports on Buttoned bbl.'s, ive decided to spread the coin around a bit.my last bbl and 1st Lilja has been great,bbl before that was my 1st Hart,also great ,one smith was local one was in Wyoming. also did a count of my gals 5 cut-rifled 5-buttoned and 4 that are factory bbl'ed and probably buttoned. great smiths are where you find them, we're all very lucky to live in this time of great bbl.'s great bullets, great powders and great scopes, enjoy your new rebarrel and post us about it ! thks jjmp

Plus this way I can buy a barrel and wait till I'm ready to have it installed so I'm not spending $1000 at one wack. Gunna have him put on a brake also.

This is one of the suggestions I think has value these days, especially if your chosen 'smith is extremely busy. Get his schedule then buy and collect all of your components when you want to afford them, while waiting for the appropriate time to ship everything off to the gunsmith. He isn't holding time for you while waiting for parts he had to order to come in for your build. The only money he's out of pocket on is his own labor.

Brakes are a love/hate topic in most discussions. I like brakes and put a ton of them on most rifles. That and now suppressors. Hopefully, the suppressor situation will get resolved and we can get on with safer shooting using cans.

Best.

I'm curious as to which bullets you're considering which require a 1:8" twist rate?

Is this a hunting rifle or combination hunting/target rifle?

Thanks!

My last two were with Pac-nor - factory guns getting new tubes on them. Both had their lugs squared as well as the actions. Both are hunting rifles shooting sub-.5" groups. Even shot one 10 shot group that measured .6". Wish I'd taken a pic of that one.

Are you absolutely set on a Bartlein? My last 2 have been proof, normally don't wait to long and can't imagine it can get much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.