Best barrel for my 7mag

Tas5937

I am purchasing a 7mm rem mag tomorrow but I am going the cheap route and buying a tc venture as its all I can afford and plan to use that platform to build my own long range gun. I.e. New barrel, stock, trigger etc.
my question for you folks is

A. Is it possible to tear that gun apart and add all these things on. Silly question but Iv heard you need a gunsmith to do any big changes to it.

B. If it is possible then what is the best bang for my buck. I can't afford the real expensive ****. I just don't know name brands for all the affordable stuff that actually works.

While nearly anything is possible to build these days, I don't believe I would recommend the route you are taking. You first need to find a gunsmith that can/will work on the rifle in question. I'm not very familiar with the TC venture, but each action has strengths & weaknesses. The aftermarket for Remingtons and Savages is pretty deep. The Venture (cost: $450)- not so much. The cost of a custom barrel will run you about $300. Add another $250 in gunsmithing. In the end, you are looking at roughly $1000. For that kind of money, I would look closely at the Savage long range hunter. Most of what you would want to add on later is already on this rifle. The Tikka T-3 is a pretty good shooter out of the box and so are the Browning X-Bolt, but the aftermarket parts are pretty thin for both.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. I'm just suggesting there may be other routes for you to explore within your budget.

I completely agree with you there. I guess I was so into the venture because my local gun shop has it on sale for 379. But I get your point. The 75 I save now won't add up in the long run and I don't take anything you say as discouraging man I need your advice as I don't know exactly what I'm getting into. But say I bought the wrench needed to swap barrels and stuff like that. You still think it's a budget buster In the end?

While nearly anything is possible to build these days, I don't believe I would recommend the route you are taking. You first need to find a gunsmith that can/will work on the rifle in question. I'm not very familiar with the TC venture, but each action has strengths & weaknesses. The aftermarket for Remingtons and Savages is pretty deep. The Venture (cost: $450)- not so much. The cost of a custom barrel will run you about $300. Add another $250 in gunsmithing. In the end, you are looking at roughly $1000. For that kind of money, I would look closely at the Savage long range hunter. Most of what you would want to add on later is already on this rifle. The Tikka T-3 is a pretty good shooter out of the box and so are the Browning X-Bolt, but the aftermarket parts are pretty thin for both.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. I'm just suggesting there may be other routes for you to explore within your budget.

+1! Also, the TC Ventures are very underrated but they can be quite the shooter. They have one of the best factory barrel (5R) and trigger for a budget rifle.

IIRC, gohring3006 shoots his (can't remember the chambering though) at or near the 1K yards.

+1! Also, the TC Ventures are very underrated but they can be quite the shooter. They have one of the best factory barrel (5R) and trigger for a budget rifle.

IIRC, gohring3006 shoots his (can't remember the chambering though) at or near the 1K yards.
That's all I'm really looking for. Iv played around with pistols and even built my own ar now I wanna just get a good cheap gun that can reach out and do it. If I get at all good at it I'll buy a nice one but I think that with the right hand loads I should do just fine with the venture 7 mag. But that's a whole new topic there as I have never reloaded my own shells before. Always just broke the bank shooting Remington shells but at 23 a box for my 06 I can't afford that let alone whatever the 7mag costs.

That's all I'm really looking for. Iv played around with pistols and even built my own ar now I wanna just get a good cheap gun that can reach out and do it. If I get at all good at it I'll buy a nice one but I think that with the right hand loads I should do just fine with the venture 7 mag. But that's a whole new topic there as I have never reloaded my own shells before. Always just broke the bank shooting Remington shells but at 23 a box for my 06 I can't afford that let alone whatever the 7mag costs.

Find a good and reliable friend(s) that reloads. Have them show you and perhaps they'll let you use their set-up until you can afford your own. I have done exactly that for some of my friends because many years ago, I was afforded the same opportunity ... a friend took me under his wings and showed me the ins and outs of reloading.

Good luck!

We'll see that's why I came to you guys here is cuz I'm gonna have to go by trial and error here. My father in law used to own his own bullet company Making frangable ammo so he has every piece of equipment you could think of and he knows exactly how to do all this but he won't help me out any for any of this. He was all for it when we were building the at platforms but once I started talking about this he just more or less says it's stupid and has every negative thing in the book to say so I said to hell with it and I'm going solo. That's why I appreciate the info man.

Welcome. First I would recommend taking a cool off period and not jumping into any decision without getting all the information. Nothing worse than buying a money pit and never really having what you truly wanted. Sometimes being patient and saving up a little more is the best option. I've been there. You get the fever and need to scratch that itch. Give yourself a week to really mull over your decision. There are always good deals out there, especially in the used market if you are patient.

My .02.. If you want something that shoots good out of the box, won't break the bank and will be easy to upgrade over time.. you are talking about a Savage. (Go for a 10/110/11/111/12/112 series, not one of the Axis models). You don't have to pay a gunsmith and shipping charges to upgrade anything on it. Swap the stock, get a prefit barrel and upgrade the trigger if you want. They aren't purdy, but they shoot and are super easy to work on.

Best of luck.

Welcome. First I would recommend taking a cool off period and not jumping into any decision without getting all the information. Nothing worse than buying a money pit and never really having what you truly wanted. Sometimes being patient and saving up a little more is the best option. I've been there. You get the fever and need to scratch that itch. Give yourself a week to really mull over your decision. There are always good deals out there, especially in the used market if you are patient.

My .02.. If you want something that shoots good out of the box, won't break the bank and will be easy to upgrade over time.. you are talking about a Savage. (Go for a 10/110/11/111/12/112 series, not one of the Axis models). You don't have to pay a gunsmith and shipping charges to upgrade anything on it. Swap the stock, get a prefit barrel and upgrade the trigger if you want. They aren't purdy, but they shoot and are super easy to work on.

Best of luck.
Do they come with any kind of garunteed moa like the t/c?

MOA guarantee's are pretty much a thing of dreams. While there are manufacturers who offer an MOA guarantee, it's a hassle to get them to honor it.

You're gonna have to pay to ship your rifle. Be willing to wait while they're testing it (with their "Secret Recipe" ammo). And wait some more. And then wait just a little bit more.

Then be prepared to get the e-mail "We don't see a problem, it's accuracy is well within specifications." Basically saying it's YOUR problem and not the gun's.

While i have a Remington preference I must say the Savage rifles in the 110/111/112 class are well regarded and known for their accuracy.

Do some searching on here and other shooting forums. They are highly regarded as being great out of box rifles. Most rifles these days will shoot better than those using them with quality ammo. I am by no means a Savage supporter, but they are great rifles for guys on a budget that want to upgrade over time. Lots of great rifles out there though, just be realistic in your expectations when throwing down your money.

MOA guarantee's are pretty much a thing of dreams. While there are manufacturers who offer an MOA guarantee, it's a hassle to get them to honor it.

You're gonna have to pay to ship your rifle. Be willing to wait while they're testing it (with their "Secret Recipe" ammo). And wait some more. And then wait just a little bit more.

Then be prepared to get the e-mail "We don't see a problem, it's accuracy is well within specifications." Basically saying it's YOUR problem and not the gun's.

While i have a Remington preference I must say the Savage rifles in the 110/111/112 class are well regarded and known for their accuracy.
The 110 is a sharp looking gun. I guess I was just nervous to spend that kind of money just starting out. Figured once I got good I certainly need to get up to at least an 800 dollar category I just didn't know if it would be a good idea to jump right into a gun of that caliber ya know. Chances are by the time I get good enough to hit a beer can at a 1000 yards I'll probably need a new barrel lol

Do some searching on here and other shooting forums. They are highly regarded as being great out of box rifles. Most rifles these days will shoot better than those using them with quality ammo. I am by no means a Savage supporter, but they are great rifles for guys on a budget that want to upgrade over time. Lots of great rifles out there though, just be realistic in your expectations when throwing down your money.
I have and I agree they do get good reviews. And I owned one a few years chambered in the 7mm 08 with the accutrigger and I did fall in love with that trigger and the feel of the gun. Maybe I will look into the 110 a little more.

I have and I agree they do get good reviews. And I owned one a few years chambered in the 7mm 08 with the accutrigger and I did fall in love with that trigger and the feel of the gun. Maybe I will look into the 110 a little more.
Hey good talk hawk45. I just read several tests and reviews on the savage 111 and I am completely impressed with what I see. Much more so than the venture. Which I do already own chambered in 30 06. Seems from what I have read on the savage all the things that make me nervous about the venture are pretty well tuned together with 111. Plus to get back to that accutrigger which I really like would be a plus for me. And the three position safety, although s minuscule detail, does appeal to me. Iv always liked guns with that feature. Plus the accustock sounds like a great thing to have stock as its something I would end up wanting to spend money on in the future anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.