Best 7mm out there now

I like the Idea of 7WSM or even 270 WSM on an intermediate or long action to move that bullet out of the powder space. It's a powerful round. I have considered the 7 myself. I just worry about brass procurement for it.
There's brass out there for sure. How much does one person need before you burn up a barrel. 200 pieces realistically should get you through the life of a barrel. People were reloading the 300 before adg came out with 300 wsm brass. And they were winning -"" kinds of benchrest competitions

Last edited:
My gunsmith buddy loves the 7saum and ballistically it maybe a tad better than the 280ai I built. But for hunting purposes you have like 17-19 l stock ammo options for the 280ai medium recoil and great performance. Highly recommend the 280ai. The 7PRC looks promising and I suspect that it will be more popular than the 300prc soon. Is the little extra you gain with it better than the 7RM or the 280ai ? If your shoot under 5 or 600 yards I'd take the AI every day. Merry Christmas! Let us know what you decide and why we all clearly know there isn't that much difference between a lot of these. Hell if you shoot under 300y go for a 708 is still a great way to go and super mild recoil.

I've heard lots of guys around here bash the 7mm's, but I have found every one I've ever owned to be efficient and effective at taking game. 7mm-08, 7mm Mauser, 7mm RM, and my current 28 Nosler all served me well. I can only think of one-time shooting whitetails it took too long for the deer to die, and he was over 400 when I shot him, and he laid down in some brush. I tried again and again to shoot him a second time, and eventually the first shot did its job, but I don't like critters to suffer any more than necessary. Only time any 7mm I've owned didn't do a quick job, and some were shot farther than one mentioned here. (when I say around here, I'm talking about the guys where I live, not LRH)

Last edited:
I am with Turpentine on the availability of brass as a foundation on a choice as we tend to do multiple barrels in a caliber. Shortages now are going to get worse, not better.
Absolutely, I have two 6.5 Grendel's now that I use for depredation and in that role we don't always get to recover our brass. A brass catcher is quite cumbersome. Last year brass dried up for the little cartridge and when I finally found some the price was astronomical. Bolt action brass is easier to hang on to. But I still like to know there is plenty out there if I need it. That's one reason I built a 6.5-06.

I've heard lots of guys around here bash the 7mm's, but I have found every one I've ever owned to be efficient and effective at taking game. 7mm-08, 7mm Mauser, 7mm RM, and my current 28 Nosler all served me well. I can only think of one-time shooting whitetails it took too long for the deer to die, and he was over 400 when I shot him, and he laid down in some brush. I tried again and again to shoot him a second time, and eventually the first shot did its job, but I don't like critters to suffer any more than necessary. Only time any 7mm I've owned didn't do a quick job, and some were shot farther than one mentioned here. (when I say around here, I'm talking about the guys where I live, not LRH)
One of the whitetail killingest bullets I've seen for 7 RM was Remingtons 140 grain soft point. That thing hit hard. Although granted the BC wasn't the best. At that time we just didn't have anywhere to take shots over 300 yards.

One of the whitetail killingest bullets I've seen for 7 RM was Remingtons 140 grain soft point. That thing hit hard. Although granted the BC wasn't the best. At that time we just didn't have anywhere to take shots over 300 yards.
When I was young I had no idea a man could even hit a deer past 100 yards; if we saw one we would try and sneak closer. I used a 7 RM for years and one didn't have many tracking jobs with that round.

When I was young I had no idea a man could even hit a deer past 100 yards; if we saw one we would try and sneak closer. I used a 7 RM for years and one didn't have many tracking jobs with that round.
That 140 grain round was one of the few I saw back then that you could shoot deer behind the shoulder in the crease with and they would just fold up. Most deer hit there will make a ghost run of 30 to 100 yards. That was rare with that bullet.

I have mentioned this previously, but it is worth saying again.

The 280 Rem, 24" bbl, 160-168g bullets is all over 2900-2930 fps with IMR 7828 with a Federal 210 primer, 58.5g of powder, and LESS, work up a load for your barrel, and this is a niche load for the Std 280 with amazing accuracy. I got this load out of the Nosler manuals #3 and #4. For some reason, the Federal 210 primer with this niche load is critical for 3/8" and smaller groups.

Now go up to the 180g at 2700 fps with even less powder used with the 180g ELD-m with its advertised BC of .796, it is impressive.

If Barrel life matters give it some thought.

We have made converts of a lot of '06 shooters in our deer clubs by letting them borrow one of our 7/08s shooting the 130g Speer btsp at 3000 fps with IMR 4895, amazing accuracy and deer just flop. I sat with my 13-year-old nephew in a Tree Stand down in the Santee area in SC, killing two does at 300 and 325 yards with his Rem sporter with the 6.5x20 with target knobs. He used the range finder, dialed the scope up, DRT deer. He is now in his 30's, shooting the 140g Berger VLD hunting because it is the latest and greatest.

If there is a downside to a 7 Rem Mag Factory Remington or custom with either a SAAMI .110 freebore or a .210 custom freebore, I have not found it in terms of accuracy in the extreme, std Rem and Win brass shoots small, real small groups. 162-168 at 3100 out of a 26" with Retumbo/215s gets the job done. In all of the Remington 700s the family has had put in McMillen or Laminate stocks, bedded, etc, they all shot tiny groups with 140s-175s, and we do have our own 600 yd range.

We have 3 of the custom 7 STWs, but the recoil is substantial, they get used less and less as the years fly by as the family reaches for the 7/08, 280, 280 AI, and the 7 Mag.

As we become better shooters, range estimators, and confident with Higher BC bullets, we reach for less recoil to get the job done.

Groups at 500 & 600 yards Seal in your Mind's Eye your capability with Confidence in the Extreme, standard Hunting rifles.

Last edited:
The most difficult part is clearly determining ones objectives. A friend just built a 7prc. He hunts and was using a 300 win mag. He also likes highly accurate rifles and factory ammo. The PRC met all his objectives. What he likes most is being able to buy accurate ammunitions most anywhere. As reloaders many of us find this aberrant behavior. Merry Christmas and shoot what you like.

"Best 7mm out there now."

7 SAUM !!! Hands Down !!!

Using "My Best" Criteria:

One of the Most Efficient per grain of powder.
Superbly Accurate !!!
It's an over achiever, well designed case, no improvements needed, easy to load for, easy to shoot. accurate, long barrel life, versatile, can run in short, medium, & long actions, works well in short & long barrels, Suppressed or non, good fit in lightweight or heavy rifle platforms,
Runs light or Heavy bullets, runs well with a lot of different powders & primers,
Quality ADG Headstamped brass,
easy for the average handloader to support & run,
Some custom loaded ammo sources.
It's a No fuss Non-Wildcat, Non-Improved 7mm,

& something you can shoot ALOT.
= BEST !!!
Whoa Whats not to like? Is it hard to get to feed right?

I've been out of the game since before my wife passed away. So now I'm wanting to get me a varmint rifle, since I have my .375 Ruger for deer and such :D

Have they made a .284-378 yet? Lol
If you were wanting a hunting rifle for deer, antelope, etc, I'd definitely go with a short-barreled 280 or the AI version. But for a varmint rifle, a long-barreled, on the heavy side 7mm Rem Mag rifle twisted for the light bullet you want to use should be great. Easy to find ammo. All the performance you need. Less recoil than the huge case variety.