Best 7mm for a 20 inch Barrel

theborg

Bottom line up from: What is the best cartridge to shoot a High BC (like 162 ELD-M) 7mm bullet out of a 20 inch barrel at 3000 fps (ish)?

Background: I am currently running a .280 AI chambered Eliseo tube gun with a 28 in. tube at about 3050 with a 162 ELD-M. I want this gun to be shorter because my primary transportation is a motorcycle, and I can break a 20 in. rifle down and put it across my saddle bags, but not a 28 in. rifle. I am also a little concerned about the long term implications of pressures I may be running with this combination, as I am loosening primer pockets on Hornady brass in about two firings, and am well in excess of published velocities for this cartridge. I have also had some feeding annoyances with the AI cartridge, and got a case stuck pretty good while shooting in a downpour during a competition. These are all reasons I think it's time to re-chamber. I would also be open to a non-7mm cartridge of some kind. I care about wind drift the most, so long as drop stays under about 10 mils at 1000 yards I care less about that. I also like to bring some energy on target if possible, and recoil that allows me to spot my own hits from field positions.

Thanks in advance.

Bottom line up from: What is the best cartridge to shoot a High BC (like 162 ELD-M) 7mm bullet out of a 20 inch barrel at 3000 fps (ish)?

Background: I am currently running a .280 AI chambered Eliseo tube gun with a 28 in. tube at about 3050 with a 162 ELD-M. I want this gun to be shorter because my primary transportation is a motorcycle, and I can break a 20 in. rifle down and put it across my saddle bags, but not a 28 in. rifle. I am also a little concerned about the long term implications of pressures I may be running with this combination, as I am loosening primer pockets on Hornady brass in about two firings, and am well in excess of published velocities for this cartridge. I have also had some feeding annoyances with the AI cartridge, and got a case stuck pretty good while shooting in a downpour during a competition. These are all reasons I think it's time to re-chamber. I would also be open to a non-7mm cartridge of some kind. I care about wind drift the most, so long as drop stays under about 10 mils at 1000 yards I care less about that. I also like to bring some energy on target if possible, and recoil that allows me to spot my own hits from field positions.

Thanks in advance.
7 Max hands down!
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

My .280 Ackley has a 22" barrel and I get 3000 fps with a 162 ELDx no problem with RL-26. I'm sure it would be north of 2950 with that weight class and a 20" tube, but the key ingredient is RL-26 and its kinda tough to find.

.284 Winchester seems to be pretty efficient in shorter tubes with RL-16 and RL-17, based on what I've seen but no personal data.

You are looking for a fire breathing dragon.

162 gr bullet at or over 3000 fps from a 20" barrel with manageable recoil AND see your shots on target.

Nope, your looking for a unicorn!

I mean no disrespect, however, I just don't see how all your requirements are going to get the boxes checked.

Steve

Not to mention the mongrel bark and flash a 7mm magnum in a 20" will have!
A .284 Winchester in a 20" with 162's should be in that 2900fps ballpark, if you ring its neck, with a little less powder than the others... perhaps.
Regardless, there will be a trade off.
Blaser R8 with a removable barrel and an aftermarket folding stock could break down pretty easily with no real tools apart from an Allen wrench. they do a 7mm rem mag in a 24" i think. but cost a bomb.

You are looking for a fire breathing dragon.

162 gr bullet at or over 3000 fps from a 20" barrel with manageable recoil AND see your shots on target.

Nope, your looking for a unicorn!

I mean no disrespect, however, I just don't see how all your requirements are going to get the boxes checked.

Steve

I was thinking the same thing. Unless you go suppressed or with a brake.

One of @elkaholic sherman cartridges would do the trick.

I'd still go with the 7 RM, but with a much faster burning powder. Otherwise the muzzle flash and report (Boom) will be very punishing (and useless energy waste). The 20" barrel will be less vibration prone, so it should be pretty accurate, but will cost you long range velocity and have greater drop and wind effect. Out to 400 yards this could be a great combination. But at 600-1000 yards, not so much.

Interesting comment on your .280 with a 22 inch barrel. I am using RL26 as well with a 28 in. barrel, and only getting 50 fps more than you. Maybe with this displacement and case design you start getting limited return right around that 22 inch length? Maybe I could shorten my barrel and not really lose a whole lot. I would be OK with 2950. I am running 61 grains in a Nosler spec (as opposed to original Ackley) chamber. What do you guys think about those pressures? Am I getting loose primer pockets because Hornady brass is just too soft and I should switch to Nosler, chop my barrel, and keep doing what I'm doing???