20 inch barrel

I have a Remington model 7 in 300 short action ultra mag. It has a 22 in barrel and I use a 168 gr Berger and I am getting 3000 fps using R19. I also have a 308 with a 20 in barrel. It is a heavier rifle with a bigger barrel on it and a nightforce scope. It is great out at the range to shoot to 600 yds. If I hunt with this set up I feel like I will want to sit some place or set up a blind, just because of the weight. The model 7 is a lightweight rifle and is easier to carry around. I can shoot the 308 all day if I want, the model 7 recoils alot more and after about 10 shots i,m done for the day. I was thinking about a muzzle brake for that rifle.
I have been looking at these guys shooting pistols and using short barrels so why cant I use a short barrel in a rifle and get just as much or more than they are. And some of those guys are very accurate at long range.

I was wondering also about long action with short barrels, like maybe a 338 edge in a 20 or 22 in barrel. Or maybe that cartridge just needs more barrel to work properly.
I am curious what you decide.

I will go ahead and say that if you are not specifically trying to reach out past 600 yards, and you are set on a short barrel, why worry about using a long action or magnum cartridge? There are plenty of short action rounds (as have already been recommended) that work great for the kind of application you have described, so why burn more powder and punish your shoulder more than you have to?

So basically... +1 for the .308!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.