Besides the 6.5 prc

Whe

Where do you shoot?
I am in southern N.M. We shoot on BLM land and are getting ready to start shooting 2500. Our local range goes to 650 and we have a location where we shoot 7 -8- 9 and 1000. Have a few guys who spend the winter here because we have such great shooting areas.

as usual not related to ONE MILE shooting.
dasher is good but not a 1 mile round.
I think you are missing the point by not reading everything I posted. The point was br barrel life is very different from long range hunting barrel life

Attachments

• rio-vaqueros-gc.JPG
    rio-vaqueros-gc.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 53
I don't know why the whole debate about the NRA 1 mile comes up. From what I can tell, the rifles being used are wildcat's based on the xc to a large degree. I might be wrong, don't follow the sport, but it seems it is not important for the OP as I don't believe he is asking about competition. Just being able to shoot to a mile. Granted that is a long poke and requires a high bc bullet with a bit umph behind it to be consistent.

the why do they not show up at matches in the real world....1000 yd br...no 223's.
6 rule 1000 but not at one mile .
post some real world match results

The conversation wasn't about 1 mile competitions, just a mild recoiling chambering that would be capable of shooting to 1 mile. There's no need for a CheyTac sized case to shoot to a mile. I rarely shot my 338 Snipetac rifle at targets under 1800 yards and my 338 SnipeTac pistol only comes out if I'm shooting beyond 1 mile. It's just not necessary to burn that much powder to get to it 1 mile.

That is a pretty spot.
I have hundreds upon hundreds of acres of open desert not far from my house in Nevada. It's why I moved from Virginia to Nevada. There is a dry lake of (guessing) 50 acres just four miles from my house where I can shoot 1400 yards with no fences, gates, rules, signs or entry fees to get in the way. I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven the first time I saw it...

HITTING A TARGET at one mile is not the same as "shooting at one mile"
think 2 moa or less consistent hits
The conversation wasn't about 1 mile competitions, just a mild recoiling chambering that would be capable of shooting to 1 mile. There's no need for a CheyTac sized case to shoot to a mile. I rarely shot my 338 Snipetac rifle at targets under 1800 yards and my 338 SnipeTac pistol only comes out if I'm shooting beyond 1 mile. It's just not necessary to burn that much powder to get to it 1 mile.

what debate about a NRA MILE..i see it nowhere in this thread????
I don't know why the whole debate about the NRA 1 mile comes up. From what I can tell, the rifles being used are wildcat's based on the xc to a large degree. I might be wrong, don't follow the sport, but it seems it is not important for the OP as I don't believe he is asking about competition. Just being able to shoot to a mile. Granted that is a long poke and requires a high bc bullet with a bit umph behind it to be consistent.

I didnt go through all the posts, but if youre shooting up to a mile you may want to consider a larger bullet to help spot misses. The 6.5x284 ive shot out there is definently a lot harder to see misses than a 300 win/wsm would be with a 200+ gr bullet

I didnt go through all the posts, but if youre shooting up to a mile you may want to consider a larger bullet to help spot misses. The 6.5x284 ive shot out there is definently a lot harder to see misses than a 300 win/wsm would be with a 200+ gr bullet
I don't disagree but my 6.5 PRC with 156's is only 100 ft lbs different then my 300 WM with 215's. The difference is minimal on steel. The impact mark is dang near the same size and a miss produces about the same splash. The 215 is actually slower at that range and produces less dust.

If you're after hits at a mile, sounds like a lot of walkin' when comes the time to change targets. I know there are camera set-ups you can buy that present a video image of the target. Why not some sort of lash-up that sends just the sound of the impact back to the bench? I doubt groups at a mile are going to be one-holers. If you hit the gong at all, that's a victory. All you need is the sound of the hit, and you may not hear the actual impact from such a distance...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts