6.5 PRC for Extreme Long Range Hunting?

Thanks, im old enough to have learned to read two ways. Both on the line and between them.
As a young kid I also spent lots of time in bars with my father, who I heard claim he did things I didn't know he could do. lol
And now we have the internet.
But all joking aside, I concur with what I interpet you saying.
I also concur with the (big) 338 and not just any 338.

Well Cap you no doubt know that only the older uninformed guys need the 55 footer and 130s, while others only need a kayak and a fly rod. But you gotta look lean, mean, and determined and be wearin a Huk shirt also. lol
You'd be impressed by the sizable fish caught on glorified trout gear these days lol.
Notice the broken rod that caught this one 110or so inches, 780-850# as seen
20537-jpeg.85520

Well I wouldn't be at least totally surprised. I did run a boat for a few years in the keys as a guide and we put some 100# plus Tarpon in the boat with 20# on spinners with about 20' of 80# leader. But as you also know you don't just sit there and crank it to the boat. The guide has to be on his toes and stay right on the fish and the angler willing to be on his feet moving about while being yelled at. Sound familiar? lol
Im also up to speed on the bait and switch method used in many fly rod catches and very light line Marlin also, but wasent aware of that happening with large tuna.

What's funny about the 55'er comment. I work for a couple gentlemen running their boats. The young buck who just turned 30 has the 55 and The older one is looking at 40's. I'm trying to get him in a 55 and out of his 30's center console. I love running the cc and it fits my fishing style better being a light tackle guy myself. However for 24hr trips and longer the ability to take a shower have hot coffee and hot food is really nice early and late in the seasons.
For light tackle a good friend's mom has a 4#test white marlin record that will be around for a while. His dad has held most of the line class records for whites as well. You have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your new year!!!

I enjoy this long range shooting stuff,,, sometimes people ask me what is it like when a bullet hits the dirt or clay bank at 700,,, 8,,, 1000,,, 12,,, 13,,, 1700,,, 2100,,, 2400 meters...

You'ld be suprized how little energy is left at those ranges.

Get out to the Butt,,, / Bunker. Bring your dirt rake and do the call out to your shooter,,, let them plant 3 shots into the dirt,,, recover the bullets.

Not all,,, but most bullets will be fully intact ready to shoot once again. Ha.

You'll notice very little impact of the 800 meter hits,,, the bullets are normally traveling at a good speed,,, a bit to much to catch in a baseball mitt. LOL

You'll deffinatly notice alot less impact at the 1500 mark ,,, at 1700 meters most bullets won't punch a hole threw a quality mitt,,, I know the 308 Winchester 185 Juggernauts won't. They will definitely stretch the baseball glove out of shape.

Now the 30/06 will shake up the Glove a bit more,,, the 300 Mags Rattle things pretty good.

Get bunkered at 2100 to 2200 meters,,, set the ball glove on the solid bank as the shooter plants 3 or 4 into the mitt.

I've shared enough as each person gets to test the bullet impacts they choose,,, our 338 bullets look like there in pretty good shape at 2200 to 2700 meters.

Only those that bunker down where the bullets land,,, will know what a critter will experience when impact time comes...

If the shooter on a steady rest can't plant 3 boolitz into the Glove back to back,,, purhaps it might not be wize to discharge at game at those distances.

I'm all about close range harvests. That way I can see the shock wave of the carcass and hide separate. LOL.

I call it the furry hide critter shake down. Ha

Last edited:
I enjoy this long range shooting stuff,,, sometimes people ask me what is it like when a bullet hits the dirt or clay bank at 700,,, 8,,, 1000,,, 12,,, 13,,, 1700,,, 2100,,, 2400 meters...

You'ld be suprized how little energy is left at those ranges.

Get out to the Butt,,, / Bunker. Bring your dirt rake and do the call out to your shooter,,, let them plant 3 shots into the dirt,,, recover the bullets.

Not all,,, but most bullets will be fully intact ready to shoot once again. Ha.

You'll notice very little impact of the 800 meter hits,,, the bullets are normally traveling at a good speed,,, a bit to much to catch in a baseball mitt. LOL

You'll deffinatly notice alot less impact at the 1500 mark ,,, at 1700 meters most bullets won't punch a hole threw a quality mitt,,, I know the 308 Winchester 185 Juggernauts won't. They will definitely stretch the baseball glove out of shape.

Now the 30/06 will shake up the Glove a bit more,,, the 300 Mags Rattle things pretty good.

Get bunkered at 2100 to 2200 meters,,, set the ball glove on the solid bank as the shooter plants 3 or 4 into the mitt.

I've shared enough as each person gets to test the bullet impacts they choose,,, our 338 bullets look like there in pretty good shape at 2200 to 2700 meters.

Only those that bunker down where the bullets land,,, will know what a critter will experience when impact time comes...

If the shooter on a steady rest can't plant 3 boolitz into the Glove back to back,,, purhaps it might not be wize to discharge at game at those distances.

I'm all about close range harvests. That way I can see the shock wave of the carcass and hide separate. LOL.

I call it the furry hide critter shake down. Ha
I find a bunch after big rains on our 100yd range which has a beach sand backstop. The match 308's look like you could reload them. Hardly ever find anything that is not a match or fmj intact. They find enough for scrap sales. 22 fmj look like rivers of bullets all with just some engraving on them

Yuppers, working the back stop sure gives a person a whole new meaning to boolit impacts fore sure.

Yes,,, all of us see the YouTube videos of folks shooting Deer, Elk and Moose at X distance,,, it sometimes makes me scratch my noodle on how those little chunks of lead even brings those critters down .Ha ,,, we know it's not expansion of the bullets since there isn't enough velocities to get them to expand.

The 223's kick up a small spurt of dust at the 800 meters,,, a bit more impacts from the mid size case 308's,,, and more seen ground Wack as the larger cases get those bullets moving faster from the starting line...

Bullets really start slowing down at the 1100 to 1300 meter mark,,, not that many folks are shooting at critters that far,,, the spine, neck and head shots definitely bring things to a hualt. LOL.

Ones a persons works the back-stop for a few stints,,, it kinda gives you a whole new out look at what it takes to bring down critters with the cartridge we choose to harvest game with.

I've scaled back to a old school Ought-6 with 180gr'ers,,, I feel comfortable letting them rip at 45 to 200 ish meters,,, I know that a off course bullet will cause alot of damage,,, it makes me buckle down with shots past that.

Yes,,, lots of Thick Skin critters have been brought down past the 400 meter mark ,,, some past that distance as well,,, one would think that some critters sucked them up and got away to never be seen again. I don't know since I stick to my own thing.

It took me 40+ years before I realized this,, ,good thing is that F Class shooting brought this about.

Drinking coffee at the Butt watching those little bullets tag the dirt pile,,, some of them roll down the bank to where we sit as we drop the target to mark the shot,,, then raise it so the next shooter sees where the hit was.

Some bullets are still warm from the rifling friction,,, still intact less the rifling groves,,, even the tips are intact on most of them... A little deformed it they hit a rock,,, not much though

Last edited:
Curious why 6.5 saum isn't more popular? Will outperform most in the 6.5 family

I have a 6.5 SAUM or some know it as the 6.5 GAP. The 6.5 PRC is based on this cartridge and to answer your question about it being well known; it is well known in the PRS community but not in the mainstream because components are expensive and not always easy to find.

It is absolutely in the top percentile of 6.5's from s speed and shootablity standpoint. My personal rifle runs:
140 grain Berger
62.1 Grains H1000
Copper Creek Brass
CCI 250 Primer
3220 FPS

Pretty hard to beat with GAP stating it should last 2000 or so rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.