6.5 PRC or .300 PRC

Better more high BC options in .284. Of the two listed 300prc with 215 bergers and up.

I've went past a mile with mine...it stayed super to 2K.

Edited to add that this was with my PRC with 150 Sierras.

Last edited:
How much punishment is acceptable? If you want to shoot all day inexpensively, the 6.5 PRC will get it done. If you are OK with added recoil the 300 PRC with >215 grain bullets may be the better choice as the earlier poster mentioned. My 6.5 PRC with ThunderBeast Ultra 9 recoils about like a 22 rimfire.

Exactly what Seezer said, "How much punishment is acceptable?"

I SOLD my .300 Win mag A-Bolt.
And I bought a 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro. Very accurate, light and definitely all weather.

Eric B.

I really like the Browning X-Bolt rifles. Litehiker, are you shooting factory or handloads? What type of groups are you shooting with the 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro?

Seezer, I'm shooting 143 gr.Hornady ELD-X (Precision Hunter) ammo because it's the ONLY ammo I can find in Henderson, NV. I got 3/4" groups at 200 yards during sight-in on a windy day. That says something for the wind bucking ability of a faster and heavier 6.5 mm round and for Hornady's quality control. I was shooting off a concrete bench W/ adjustable iron front rest and rabbit ear rear bag.

My scope, after blowing my budget on the Pro rifle, is a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 with FFP, mil/mil and G3 illuminated reticle. Never had an illuminated reticle but I gotta say Bushnell's is excellent and that smaller G3 Xmas tree reticle works well. My competition rifle has a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 has a H59 large Xmas tree reticle so I never have to dial - ever.

As soon as Alpha comes out with 6.5 PRC cases I'll get a Redding Precision 3 die set like I have for 6.5 Creedmoor. Until then its factory ammo and hope for the best.

Eric B.

6.5 PRC has been very impressive so far. I have one as well in Browning Xbolt Pro. The 147 ELD-M grouped the best in the 1-7 twist and with a BC of .697 the wind drift seemed minimal when shooting out to 600yds.

After doing some reading on the 300 PRC the 250 ATIP has a crazy high BC and would be very interesting to see pushed out long range.

Hornady ATIP 250gr .308 with a BC .878!!

300 PRC pushing that thing almost 2700 FPS would be a lethal combination.

Since I just built a 300 win mag my next rifle will be the 6.5 prc. I would have went 300 prc but I was already set up for the win mag. Will they come out with a 7mm variance soon?

Bullet splash will be much easier to see with a 225 or 250 grain bullet.
300 PRC for that reason, BTW guys are driving the 250 Atip around 2800 fps

All that I have said above of the suitability of my 6.5 PRC rifle still stands.
BUT if you want more energy from a cartridge the 300 PRC is better than the 300 Win mag for several reasons. Read up on it. If you want that kind of energy then some 200+ grain high BC bullets will work wonders on really big game at really long distances.
Eric B.