300 PRC or 28

Azdbllung

Hi Guys,
I currently have a 7mm RM and love the ballistics that come with it. I am considering a 300 or another 284 that can shoot the heavies. Anyone that has both care to chime in for any advice? Id rather no have to go through the struggle if others have gone through it already. Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have two 300 RUMs that shoot the 210-215's very well, but when I rebarrel it again, I will twist for upto the 230's. I have used the 210's and 212ELD in a mile shoot with good results.

Your not gaining much if you already have a 7 RM.. by getting a 28 NOs. I would go with the 30 cal and try the 215 Bergers.. I guess in the end it depends on what you are going to use the gun for... IMO I think if I was to choose to have just one gun it would be a 30 Nos or a 300 Win.. Good brass for the PRC is not available yet.. It will probably eventually come if the PRC get popular..

Hi Guys,
I currently have a 7mm RM and love the ballistics that come with it. I am considering a 300 or another 284 that can shoot the heavies. Anyone that has both care to chime in for any advice? Id rather no have to go through the struggle if others have gone through it already. Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.
Keep what you've got and build a 30 cal.
Remember that velocity rules all else at least to a point.
Beyond that point build another gun for the heavy's, like a large 338.

First I only have a place to go 1 mile max and it's a pain so mainly 1000 yards is what I shoot .
I have both PRC and 28 Nosler. Tough choice. The 28 Nosler Throated to handle the 195/197gr for me made going to a mile relatively easy.
I have shot the 28 a lot at 1000 and not much challenge there.
Con on it is barrel life..... I would figure maybe 1000 max
Only a couple of powders give max speeds...I use N570. Reloder 33 was awesome until temps hit 95f.
I have played a lot with 300 PRC but not past 1000 but it will run the 225/230 gr bullets up to 3000fps with longer say 28-30in barrels.
It will do that with a variety of powders so choose your poison.
Lots of bullet choices and barrel life is longer.
Con limited brass production at this point.

why not a 300 win mag or 300 rum set up for 215/220/230 ? I disagree with the velocity statement, weight works.
a 300 win mag will do well in your 1 mile limit as will the 300 rum.see no need to jump up to prc

why not a 300 win mag or 300 rum set up for 215/220/230 ? I disagree with the velocity statement, weight works.
a 300 win mag will do well in your 1 mile limit as will the 300 rum.see no need to jump up to prc
Well for 1, Magazine restrictions on both. I want to shoot 225, 230 and the new 250. I'm not going to be able to do that without shoving that bullet way down in the case. There goes the accuracy with that. Also, with the RUM, the Velocities are never really consistent. There is too much variance for me to feel confident in them. The 300 PRC pretty much fixes all of those 300 issues. There is no benefit of either cartridges over the PRC.

300 rums are shot in 2000 yard competition with excellent results. see the magnum rifle matches at raton. if you have variations, it is not the cartridge, it is the user. try the 338 rum/edge if you want velocity accuracy and only 250 bullet weight. benefit always your choice is your shoulder and your wallet.

300 rums are shot in 2000 yard competition with excellent results. see the magnum rifle matches at raton. if you have variations, it is not the cartridge, it is the user. try the 338 rum/edge if you want velocity accuracy and only 250 bullet weight. benefit always your choice is your shoulder and your wallet.
No the 300 RUM inherently has high speed variances due to the air space in the case. Because some people shoot them good means nothing to me. It's inherently built worse than any other cartridges when it comes to speed variances. Sure, it shoots fast but speed isn't always the most important factor. It also suffers from the same problem the 300 WM does with magazine tolerance issues.

No the 300 RUM inherently has high speed variances due to the air space in the case. Because some people shoot them good means nothing to me. It's inherently built worse than any other cartridges when it comes to speed variances. Sure, it shoots fast but speed isn't always the most important factor. It also suffers from the same problem the 300 WM does with magazine tolerance issues.
Put some more powder in there and take up that inherent space.

maybe when you start a post , you could DEFINE the task. as in a mag length hunting rifle, and us target shooters might go away.
it has no "inherent high speed variances" pure bs.
picking a poor load is not a design characteristic.
you do not have to answer, I do not hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.