300 PRC

Handloads do tilt the scale even more than with factory ammo - Generally with factory ammo, the 300 PRC with a 215 runs about 2850 where the 300 Norma runs 3010 and the 30N at 2990. We are splitting hairs and you are spot on Longshot, we can generate even more speed without SAAMI limitations. In all circumstances case capacity wins. Especially at ranges of more than 1000 yards. On steel a few more clicks in elevation isnt that big a deal but windage can be the difference between a hit and a miss.
300 PRC - 78 grains water
30N - 88 grains water
300 Norma - 104 grains water

Steel doesn't care how fast the bullet is going but for hunting in any one of these cartridges, I will always prefer faster - every single time. If all cartridges have equal accuracy then to me, every 100 or 150 or 200 fps matters when shooting an animal
I joined LRH forum for accurate data. Several people I know own 300PRC's running 215 Berger's well over 3000 easily, no pressure, no problems. There running 225s over 2900 same results. Most LRH forum members reload. Your stats are based on factory loads. Not sure where your case capacity numbers came from. If your info was even close to accurate, I'd be looking toward another 30 caliber magnum. It's fortunate that others here do have experience with the 300PRC and I can get true accurate info from their actual real life data.

I joined LRH forum for accurate data. Several people I know own 300PRC's running 215 Berger's well over 3000 easily, no pressure, no problems. There running 225s over 2900 same results. Most LRH forum members reload. Your stats are based on factory loads. Not sure where your case capacity numbers came from. If your info was even close to accurate, I'd be looking toward another 30 caliber magnum. It's fortunate that others here do have experience with the 300PRC and I can get true accurate info from their actual real life data.
My data is very accurate thanks - Hand loading has 100 variables which means there is no accurate way to compare data. Case capacities come from SAAMI specs. I even stated he was right in saying hand loads tip the scale and you can do more with hand loads.
My comparison is based on known, documented, and published data. That data is the only way to form baselines and judge apples to apples in the most sterile way.
You wanna compare brain pans? You wanna compare background and experience? I am a rifle builder and own my own company, I am also a wildcat cartridge maker. I started a world famous barrel company, I also have extensive background in LR shooting training e.g. I train government shooters. I choose to come here incognito so that I can follow industry trends, see what folks are talking about, and to keep up with things that there is no time to track; not deal with rude and offensive people. Get enough of that with people who think they know how to design a custom rifle and make it run...get tons of those call already.

Leave the napoleon complex at home. If you don't like my posts - simple, don't read them.

You wanna run a true test then? Let's do this and take all the variable out of the equation...we will leave this to comparable data on not opinion - whether you think my water data is incorrect or not, we know this. The PRC has less case capacity than the other two, saying anything different is ludicrous but let's use my data

Let's build 3 rifles. 1 in 300 PRC, 1 in 30 Nos, and 1 in 300 Norma
Let's build all 3 exactly the same. Same components, same bbl length, same twist, same bbl maker, same brass, same powder, same bullet, same primer - everything exactly the same.

We will load them all into SAAMI chamber with same jump and internals specs, and we are only allowed to fill each case for each round to 90% capacity of the grains of water in each case.
  • 300 PRC approx 70 grains
  • 30 Nos approx 79 grains
  • 300 Norma approx 93 grains

300 PRC will be at the bottom of the test every single time.

I don't think anyone will disagree with your statement that with all things equal the 300 PRC would be the slowest out of those 3 cartridges. But your h20 capacity for the 300PRC and 30 Nos seem pretty low. Like they were measured with the water line to the bottom of the neck instead of the top.

You wanna run a true test then? Let's do this and take all the variable out of the equation...we will leave this to comparable data on not opinion - whether you think my water data is incorrect or not, we know this. The PRC has less case capacity than the other two, saying anything different is ludicrous but let's use my data

Let's build 3 rifles. 1 in 300 PRC, 1 in 30 Nos, and 1 in 300 Norma
Let's build all 3 exactly the same. Same components, same bbl length, same twist, same bbl maker, same brass, same powder, same bullet, same primer - everything exactly the same.

We will load them all into SAAMI chamber with same jump and internals specs, and we are only allowed to fill each case for each round to 90% capacity of the grains of water in each case.
  • 300 PRC approx 70 grains
  • 30 Nos approx 79 grains
  • 300 Norma approx 93 grains

300 PRC will be at the bottom of the test every single time.
That's correct, it does have less H20 than the other two but the info is still incorrect. You don't have to like being wrong but you are. It edges out the 300WM and is a little under the 30 Nos but isn't almost 30 grains less than the 300NM. Accurate info is what I'd prefer to see. The model I posted is as close as I've ever seen. Different brass offers different capacities but those are average capacities.

My data is very accurate thanks - Hand loading has 100 variables which means there is no accurate way to compare data. Case capacities come from SAAMI specs. I even stated he was right in saying hand loads tip the scale and you can do more with hand loads.
My comparison is based on known, documented, and published data. That data is the only way to form baselines and judge apples to apples in the most sterile way.
You wanna compare brain pans? You wanna compare background and experience? I am a rifle builder and own my own company, I am also a wildcat cartridge maker. I started a world famous barrel company, I also have extensive background in LR shooting training e.g. I train government shooters. I choose to come here incognito so that I can follow industry trends, see what folks are talking about, and to keep up with things that there is no time to track; not deal with rude and offensive people. Get enough of that with people who think they know how to design a custom rifle and make it run...get tons of those call already.

Leave the napoleon complex at home. If you don't like my posts - simple, don't read them.
Simply tell the truth.

That's correct, it does have less H20 than the other two but the info is still incorrect. You don't have to like being wrong but you are. It edges out the 300WM and is a little under the 30 Nos but isn't almost 30 grains less than the 300NM. Accurate info is what I'd prefer to see. The model I posted is as close as I've ever seen. Different brass offers different capacities but those are average capacities.
Have a nice day...enjoy the forum

The 284 win holds 66 grains of H20. Sounds like your saying the 300PRC is real close to the capacity of the 284 ???
284 win?
So you are saying your original thought was moot, your original premise was moot, and the hypothesis you are promoting has no empirical data to support it is sequitur argument
So I wasted my time trying to share knowledge. Good to know

284 win?
So you are saying your original thought was moot, your original premise was moot, and the hypothesis you are promoting has no empirical data to support it is sequitur argument
So I wasted my time trying to share knowledge. Good to know.
False info is always a waste of time providing people who are looking for accurate data. Don't waste my time offering it. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings letting you know you facts were incorrect. Forums are for info and advice. Both offering it and asking for it. I rely on accurate info. That's all I was indicating here. Wasn't meant to be a ****in match

Sorry to jump in, this just got me thinking and it might be valuable to you. I have a 26 inch proof in a 30 Sherman, fire forming 300 PRC ADG brass with 250 ATips I am getting 2880. I think the 245 would be a little slicker, easily 2900+. Those would be even faster with a PRC chamber, so that less energy would be lost in brass forming.

I am going to try both the 245 and the 250 with the formed brass and try to get them as fast as they can handle. Should be interesting.
The atips seem to be the go to for the .30 Sherman. I have yet to load mine as I was working on my hunting loads.
I'm pushing the 214 hammers at 3160fps with room to go up.
The atip will be my go to for steel.