Besides the 6.5 prc

"Capable of one mile at 1,000 feet" Question: Are you wanting to remain supersonic at that 1 mile @ 1,000' ASL? That answer may eliminate several cartridges and loads.

Please define your idea of "all day" as in number of rounds over time, recoil tolerance, expected throat wear, rifle weight limits, etc?

There are many rounds that will reach 1 mile, but what parameters do you need/want?

If you are literally just talking a gun to target shoot long range a whole lot of recoil can be mitigated by rifle weight; a full contour barrel may look like you are shooting plumbing but it'll certainly mitigate recoil. Put that gun in a chassis with a bi-pod and you have even more weight. Add a quality brake or a suppressor and you can calm down near anything short of artillery.
270 wouldn't be my first choice but if you just want to say I have a 270 that'll ring steel at 1760 yards the new bullet choices make it a more likely proposition than it has been in the past.

Besides the PRC... are you looking at a short action or long.....6.5x284 is excellent. 280AI. Lots of good choices actually. Each caliber seems to have a decent line up of quality bullets and components to get a shooter to a mile with the right barrel twist etc. I have 22" proof 6.5 PRC that is running 156's at 2900. I am running 135's at 3090. So everything in between is around 3000.
What is the farthest you have shot the prc?

we have a range where we can shoot 1000 - 1250 - 1500 - 1780- and 2100 A lady who shoots with us shoots a 6 creedmore and has no problems ringing steel at 1780 . I shoot a 6.5 x 284 and a 300 win mag and can hit at 2100 and 1780. The 6.5 is a lot more fun over the course of a day.Get a caliber that has good long range bullets , put a long barrel on it and a good ballistic calculator ,spend money on a good scope and go out and practice.It really is not that hard to shoot a mile and you don't need the latest greatest super mag to do it .

BARREL LIFE:

You need to look at which of the cartridges you are considering will give you a decent barrel life. i.e. at least 2,000 rounds before the throat is shot out.
My bet would be the 6.5 PRC. Recoil is decent, even on my 6 lb. 3 oz. 6.5 PRC Browning x-Bolt Pro.

Eric B.

Weight has nothing to with performance for targets unless all you care about is the splash.
As others said, pick a high bc bullet and decent barrel life with lower potential recoil and you'll have more fun. I have had a Lot of fun with 6 and 6.5 with the higher weight bullets. The 156 eol is .355 bc according to litz and that's excellent. Run those at 2900-3100 and a mile is not a big deal.

I was going to build a rifle, well I won't I'll have area 419 build it... Just curious if a 270 with these new longer bullets could do it... My buddy has made 1 st round hits with a 6.5 x47 out to 1500 yards and hit at 1600... It's just for fun, not that I wouldn't mind trying a competition...
IMHO going from archery to shooting 1500 yards is like going from drinking kool-aid to drinking moonshine. Sound doable until you actually try it.

These kind of post crack me up. We all have calibers/cartridges we like and ones we are not that fond of. The truth be ones we may like may or may not be the best for some things and some times the ones we don't like are very good choses, and in most cases there both right and wrong. Yes some may have more bullet/ ammo choses but that don't mean what we like or what works for us will be the best for another person. Pick what you like, find a load that works in it for you, learn to shot it the best you can and practice to improve your self with it, no your limitations with it. Now go out and shot, shot, hunt, hunt, ENJOY, ENJOY and then repeat.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.