Berger vs. Matrix Bullets...?

wilkup

Anyone have an informed opinion on this?
More specifically, I'm getting a 6.5 Sherman built for me and am pretty set on using a 150/160gr Matrix once I get the powder I need to push them fast enough.
While I wait for powder, I need a backup bullet for bear season next month and was thinking the 140gr from Berger or the 142gr from Matrix.
Between these two rounds, what would be your choice?

Anyone have an informed opinion on this?
More specifically, I'm getting a 6.5 Sherman built for me and am pretty set on using a 150/160gr Matrix once I get the powder I need to push them fast enough.
While I wait for powder, I need a backup bullet for bear season next month and was thinking the 140gr from Berger or the 142gr from Matrix.
Between these two rounds, what would be your choice?

You cant go wrong either way...

I have not used the Matrix 142 or 150. I looked on line and did not see the 150 being offered yet. I could check with them I suppose. However, I do know the 160 worked very well in my 6.5-284 as far as accracy and consistently shot .3 MOA. At long range the bullets proved out their BC well. I shot 1200 to 1550 and they were spot on. In the short 24" barrel it was 2700-2750 fps depending on how hard I pushed them though. At 780 yards the 160 pencilled through on a coyote and that is the only game I used them on.

On the same token, I have had very good luck with the 140 berger VLD hunting and they shot well and proved the BC. I shot 7 coyotes last winter with them. Yotes didn't go anywhere and bullets passed through without much expansion. I just recently set up a new barrel and they are almost going in the same hole, I know shooter error probably opened that group up.

So either IMO shoot well, but I am not an experienced with game animals with either really.

I have almost exclusively shot Berger VLD or Hybrids out of my 7 SAUM. They have preformed excellently on all game. That being said, I would have no problem switching to Matrix, especially considering how scarce Berger's are to find these days.

I'm planning on building a 6.5 SAUM this next spring. I am going to use the Matrix 150 gr bullets over the 140 or 130 Bergers. The new build might become a switch barrel for some other cartridge to shoot a bigger Matrix bullet.

I have shot both Berger and Matrix in several calibers with excellent results. Because of its' smaller size, Matrix has the ability to be much more responsive to shooter's needs (IMO). I have had extensive dealings with Marshall at Matrix. He has bent over backwards to work with me on my particular bullet needs. Likewise, Berger has great customer service - they just can't move a quick or cater to smaller demand groups like Matrix can. For example, Matrix has 2 or 3 heavier offerings in the .264 VLD class of bullets than what is shown on their web site. The same can be said in their .277 class of bullets.

Berger and Matrix - two great companies. Berger can produce more mainstream VLD bullets at a less expensive price point than Matrix. On the other hand, Berger won't make a 264. calber VLD in 165 grains because there isn't enough demand for it. Matrix has that bullet and sells it! That bullet would do wonders in a 6.5 SAUM.

You will pay a little more, but it is more than worth it to wring the maximum potential out my rifles. I shoot a 277 Allen Magnum. That is a 338 Lapua case that has been 'improved' and necked down to .277. The best Berger can offer me is 150 grain VLD. Matrix has a 170 gr. VLD and is working to make others workable in my gun. I cannot say enough good about Matrix. Now if I could just convince them to move stateside..... :)

I have shot both Berger and Matrix in several calibers with excellent results. Because of its' smaller size, Matrix has the ability to be much more responsive to shooter's needs (IMO). I have had extensive dealings with Marshall at Matrix. He has bent over backwards to work with me on my particular bullet needs. Likewise, Berger has great customer service - they just can't move a quick or cater to smaller demand groups like Matrix can. For example, Matrix has 2 or 3 heavier offerings in the .264 VLD class of bullets than what is shown on their web site. The same can be said in their .277 class of bullets.

Berger and Matrix - two great companies. Berger can produce more mainstream VLD bullets at a less expensive price point than Matrix. On the other hand, Berger won't make a 264. calber VLD in 165 grains because there isn't enough demand for it. Matrix has that bullet and sells it! That bullet would do wonders in a 6.5 SAUM.

You will pay a little more, but it is more than worth it to wring the maximum potential out my rifles. I shoot a 277 Allen Magnum. That is a 338 Lapua case that has been 'improved' and necked down to .277. The best Berger can offer me is 150 grain VLD. Matrix has a 170 gr. VLD and is working to make others workable in my gun. I cannot say enough good about Matrix. Now if I could just convince them to move stateside..... :)

what other weights does marshal have in .264 I know he just started making 150's that are not on the website

I've started playing with the 160grn Matrix pretty heavily. Compared to the Cutting Edge bullets I was shooting these things are cheap! :D I've had outstanding luck with them, seems to shoot very well no matter what I do. Pending my results from a long range shooting course I have scheduled next month & my on game results this year, I may or may not give the 150's a try.

You can't go wrong either way, I'd pick which ever I can actually get my hands on & roll from there.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.