Berger vs Matrix?

7mmShooter

Hey guys, hope you all are having a great weekend! Those of you who have used both Bergers and the Matrix VLDs, have you noticed any appreciable differences in consistency or performance? I figure its probably splitting hairs, but I've heard the Matrix VLDs are more consistent quality wise which makes sense being a smaller outfit.

Thanks in advance!

I've played with the Matrix 160gr 6.5mm and the 168gr 7mm bullets and they've both served me well. The 160gr 6.5mm is hard to compare to anything else because there isn't much else out there in that class of 6.5mm. The quality and consistency are certainly there and they hold up very well to the velocities I've shot them to (3400 + fps).

I've compared the 168 7mm Matrix to the 168 Berger VLD Hunter in my 284 Striker and I can't really tell the difference between them. When I shoot them both at the same velocity they shoot nearly identically out to 1300 yards. Based on the very limited testing I've done with them I'd expect the Matrix to be a more predictable hunting bullet than the Berger. The Bergers seem to "grenade" and the Matrix expands in my experience when shooting at wet leather scraps.

I agree with the Matrix being a little more predictable and not as likely to grenade. I believe that this is, at least in part, due to the slightly less aggressive nose; at least on the ones I use. I love the 150 matrix in my 6.5's. It gives me good penetration on game and plenty of damage along the way. Sometimes when the lead is nearer to the nose, a bullet is more likely to expand than grenade. I have also found that the bullet lengths seem to be a little more consistent on the Matrix and they have a more uniform me plat. Again, I am seeking primarily of the 150's....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.