Berger VLD Linked to Heart Failure….?

Hey, I have a similar story. A buddy and I were hunting for Sitka Blacktail on Montague Island. I was using my 300 Wby, big for deer, small for the big brown bears. We were out and it was pouring down rain. Could see about 70-80 yards cause it was coming down. Any deer was legal, a deer stepped out from behind a pine tree at about 40 yards. I had see thru scope covers and one in the chamber (big bears, low visibility, remember). I shot, the deer just slammed to the ground and never even twitched. When I got there I found a chunk of heart about three feet behind the deer, it was the biggest piece we found. It was a small button buck. I was shooting 180 Nosler partitions back then around 3000 fps. It rained the entire four days we were there. We hunted all day every day and only saw one other deer. I saw it for about two seconds in between gusts of sideways rain. Everything we had with us was soaked. That little deer sure did taste great!
Take Care
The designed & proven 180gr Partition. Darn I Love that bullet!…..Awesome story & thanks for sharing

My 10 year old grandson's deer heart using a .243 Win with 95 grain Berger VLD. I use them in all my rifles for hunting.

Attachments

• heart shot berger vld 95 gr Large.jpeg
    heart shot berger vld 95 gr Large.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 88
I can get that velocity out of my 6.5 with a 26" Criterion barrel. The load is, Prime brass aka Norma, 45.3 gr. Staball 6.5, 140 gr. Hornady HPBT, Remington 9 1/2 primer. COL was 2.800.
This load was developed in a Savage model 10 GRS with a 24 inch factory barrel. Velocity was 2750 Ave. The throat was worn out in that barrel nearly to mag length in a AICS mag, couldn't use a Magpul mag due to cartridge length, had to be an accurate mag without the front strip. Same rifle with 41.5 gr H4350 ,2700 fps.
After the rebarrel, I shortened the col to fit with .040 jump and tried it. Initially the velocity was 2830fps and group was .5 moa. The accuracy fell off after barrel had 300 rounds. Chrono revealed that velocity speed up to 2890. I backed it off to 43.5 gr. of Staball 6.5, 2835fps.
Since then the throat has eroded. 050" and I am running a can, so back to development.
With Staball 6.5 it is possible to get 2890 fps in a 26" barrel and not have any excessive pressure signs. In my rifle, that same velocity is way over pressure and really flattens primers, to the point of punching holes using H4350.

Yes Cosniper66, but this is a 260 with a case and chamber not optimized for those longer bullets. Unless they are running it as a single shot.

That velocity shouldn't be hard to obtain with a 260 and hand loads.

I used to have a factory 700 Mountain rifle with a 22" barrel that shot factory Federal premium 125 Nosler Partitions at 2855.

Handloading should easily get 2890 with the 140 VLD.