Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

These are out, and ready to be bought!

longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-bullets-new-7mm-284-195-gr-eol-elite-hunter-159406

These velocities also confirm my theory that the STW and the 28 Nosler are even more similar than I had originally anticipated.

Why is it that anyone running over 3100 fps with the 195 is getting pressure signs??? The cartridges they are running (28nos and 7mmstw) just don't have enough boiler room to do better than 3K fps or so without running high pressures with that big of a bullet in a normal (26"ish) length barrel. Go to the 7rum or bigger if you want more speed and take it easy on the pipes guys if you are running lesser cartridges. A light ejector/extractor mark is still high pressure.

I suppose I could claim bragging rights if I found some I5010 (or H5010 for that matter) and stuff the gills out of my rifle (I had a I5010/ 180 grain load doing 3320fps out of my 26" barreled 300rum at 7 grains down from the top load tried- no loads showed pressure signs but the top load DID make Jokostel tear up when he fired it), but I'm over that and will run my rifle(s) sensibly.

I remember those days. No thanks.
I'll stick to my standard fare.... the Ackley (with 140s and 180s VLDs) and the 6.5x284 do well, as well as my 300 H&H... the 300 RUM I have does VERY well with the 175 TMK.
My newest "buzzbomb" is the 26 Nosler with a 130 AB doing ~ 3450... RL50 Strikes again.gun)

Why is it that anyone running over 3100 fps with the 195 is getting pressure signs??? The cartridges they are running (28nos and 7mmstw) just don't have enough boiler room to do better than 3K fps or so without running high pressures with that big of a bullet in a normal (26"ish) length barrel. Go to the 7rum or bigger if you want more speed and take it easy on the pipes guys if you are running lesser cartridges. A light ejector/extractor mark is still high pressure.

I suppose I could claim bragging rights if I found some I5010 (or H5010 for that matter) and stuff the gills out of my rifle (I had a I5010/ 180 grain load doing 3320fps out of my 26" barreled 300rum at 7 grains down from the top load tried- no loads showed pressure signs but the top load DID make Jokostel tear up when he fired it), but I'm over that and will run my rifle(s) sensibly.

Why did I get quoted in this? I was just stating that both calibers are capable of nearly identical velocities. I didn't say anything about how high those velocities were...

When I did my comparison charts to compare the 180 and 195 at 1000 yards, I used 3000 fps as my baseline velocity, because I knew that would be easily attainable for the STW without excess pressure.

I have a friend that tried 81g of Retumbo in a 7mm RUM with the ogive .002" off of the lands using the 195g Berger. While the gun or he wasn't hurt permanently, it isn't anything that he wants to repeat in the future. I don't know what the pressure was, but it was way too high..... The extractor or ejector needed replacing (I forget which), and there were marks on things that shouldn't have marks on them....

I'm just sharing my results. not trying to push the limits by any stretch. When I see the first signs of pressure that's where I stop. The load my rifle liked best was showing no signs of pressure and had easy bolt lift.

I have a friend that tried 81g of Retumbo in a 7mm RUM with the ogive .002" off of the lands using the 195g Berger. While the gun or he wasn't hurt permanently, it isn't anything that he wants to repeat in the future. I don't know what the pressure was, but it was way too high..... The extractor or ejector needed replacing (I forget which), and there were marks on things that shouldn't have marks on them....

Sorry to hear that but at least no one was hurt. For that big case and very heavy bullet, I would try H50BMG or Reloader 50. The latter will probably yield the highest velocities for a max load.

Sounds like he may have been way too close to the lands.... Those rums become bombs if they don't have enough freebore to cut down the pressure curve.... That's a lot of powder to let fly in a concealed space....
I have heard of guys trying to get custom chambers in rums with shorter throats, and it never worked out for them..... It was dangerous to say the least.

Why did I get quoted in this? I was just stating that both calibers are capable of nearly identical velocities. I didn't say anything about how high those velocities were...

When I did my comparison charts to compare the 180 and 195 at 1000 yards, I used 3000 fps as my baseline velocity, because I knew that would be easily attainable for the STW without excess pressure.

you are very right on the stw and 28nos being similar... they are also both being overloaded about the same...

smile Muddy, it's all good...:):):):)

Feels like Christmas... Just got mine. Should get to shoot some Wednesday in my 7mm/300wm. 27.5" benchmark 8.5 twist.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 65
Feels like Christmas... Just got mine. Should get to shoot some Wednesday in my 7mm/300wm. 27.5" benchmark 8.5 twist. I'll be firing at only about 400 ft above sea level over a chronograph and hopefully out to 1100 yds. I've only put 18 rds of 180 vld's down the tube do far so we will see what happens. I've got H1000, Retumbo, IMR 7828ssc. Fresh winny brass will be used fireforming after using the rcbs FL neck bushing die. I'll let you know how it goes.
-Swede

Feels like Christmas... Just got mine. Should get to shoot some Wednesday in my 7mm/300wm. 27.5" benchmark 8.5 twist. I'll be firing at only about 400 ft above sea level over a chronograph and hopefully out to 1100 yds. I've only put 18 rds of 180 vld's down the tube do far so we will see what happens. I've got H1000, Retumbo, IMR 7828ssc. Fresh winny brass will be used fireforming after using the rcbs FL neck bushing die. I'll let you know how it goes.
-Swede

Maybe I missed it somewhere but what twist is your barrel?

Got my shipment of 195's today also!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts