Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Obviously 3 shots are not enough to draw any conclusion. But as I said I just tossed 3 together and it shot .342. They were .168" off the lands. Yes, .168" off the lands. I know my target says .068" but my math was incorrect and I just rechecked it. I have yet to see any Berger Hybrid that was hard to get to shoot. so much for the old Myth that Bergers like to be close to the lands.

Jeff
Did you get any chrony readings? You are the first to post anything on the 7/300 and I am very curious about its potential.

I am quite interested in hearing how these perform on game. There is a lot of data and belief about the 300 win mag being a little more potent mostly due to diameter and bullet size. I will be curious to see if the ballistic advantages of the 195 will even out or surpass the 30 cal's for hunting purposes. Seems the major advantage the 195 holds over the 30's is wind. Just curious if anybody has experience with the 300 win or 300 rum and will be able to compare them to the 195's out of what ever you may be shooting it out of

Did you get any chrony readings? You are the first to post anything on the 7/300 and I am very curious about its potential.

That was a beginning charge weight of 72 gr of H-1000. The 3 shots were from 2950 to 2960 in a 26 1/2" tube with no indication of pressure. I will know more when I get it in good brass over the next few days. Hoping for 3050 to 3100. But that's just a guess at this point.

Jeff

I am quite interested in hearing how these perform on game. There is a lot of data and belief about the 300 win mag being a little more potent mostly due to diameter and bullet size. I will be curious to see if the ballistic advantages of the 195 will even out or surpass the 30 cal's for hunting purposes. Seems the major advantage the 195 holds over the 30's is wind. Just curious if anybody has experience with the 300 win or 300 rum and will be able to compare them to the 195's out of what ever you may be shooting it out of

If all goes well I will be taking elk with them very soon. I do not expect them to match the terminal performance of a large cased 30 with a 230 gr Berger. But they may equal a 300 win with a 215 and could even have less drift and drop. It will take me more than a few kills with them to draw any conclusion. Especially since I have seen 28 kills with my 300 win and the 215's.

Only time will tell, but in my world more lead kills better with frangible bullets.

Jeff

I would have to agree. The thing I am trying to decide if the minute of wind difference will trump the extra 20 grains. Who knows. The short answer is wait for that .8 30 cal that was mentioned earlier in this post lol

Broz I will be very curious to see what kind of velocities you are going to get. We all have hopeful numbers but we are finally seeing some velocities coming out. But none in the 7/300, at least that I have seen anyways. I don't think accuracy will be a problem with these bullets as long as the right barrels are involved, but I am going to be curious if we are going to be able to push them as fast as we all hope.

Broz I will be very curious to see what kind of velocities you are going to get. We all have hopeful numbers but we are finally seeing some velocities coming out. But none in the 7/300, at least that I have seen anyways. I don't think accuracy will be a problem with these bullets as long as the right barrels are involved, but I am going to be curious if we are going to be able to push them as fast as we all hope.

If you're asking about the structural integrity of the bullet Kirby has pushed them ~+/- 3300fps out of his 7 Allen Magnum.

Last edited:
We all know speed comes at a price. And, especially so at the .284 bore and below. There is a reason I have retreated back to the 7-300 and the 300 win. from all the RUM's, 30-378's, 7 Lapua, and even the STW. I have no desire to change out a barrel every year just about the time I get dialed in, drops worked out, and my confidence built.

If I get the 7-300 a little over 3K with a 195 in a 26" 8 twist, and I think I will. I will know I can get 3100 from a 28 and over 3100 from a 30". To me that will be nothing to sneeze at with a G1 BC of .755.

Jeff

That is impressive. I just don't feel I need to have that much smoke. I am thinking 28" on my 7-300 barrel. If I we're to sneak 3100 out of it, I think I would pee myself in excitement. I am trying to scale back my expectations. I thought I would get more out of my 7RM than I did which has left me with enough disappointment to go do a7/300 with the 195's

And that's the 26" length!

Yep I just looked back to see what length of barrel he used. My next question is, is can they be pushed any harder than 3300fps.

In all honesty though, my guess is not many will ever want something that can push it faster than the 3200.

I'm pondering running the 195's in my 7remmy but I'd much to be around the 3000fps mark so maybe a 28 nosler and a 26" barrel.

Bottom line is the ballistics 3000 and above are downright impressive. I don't even want to type in 3300 into my shooter app otherwise I might be tempted to have to do it. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.