Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Yeah i don't have any trouble with the 180 hybrids in my 7RM either. Best group at 1062yds was under 4.5" so far. But I just don't think I will get away with it with these big ole things. Then if I did just rechamber and it didn't work, it's money I would be behind on a rebarrel.

Just for kicks. Anybody try these or going to try these in a 7RM Sendero just to see how they work?

I think I could get away with a rechber to STW or 7/300 if I didn't use it in a couple places I hunt. But then that kind of defeats the purpose.

That's not even a 1-9 is it? I think Remington sent those out with 9 1/8 or 9 1/4 twist pipes.....

My guess is you'll be on the ragged edge unless you somehow pull 3000 fps... not happening unless you want to reach 75-80k.....

Yeah its a 9.25 twist I think. Using the berger twist calculator it says even at 3000 it would be a stretch. Seems like a good excuse for a custom barrel, sell my sendero stock with cheek piece, and put a laminate on it. If it gets scratched up it will just add "character" lol

A buddy with a 7mm RUM wants to try them. Does anybody have some suggestions for a starting load powder and weight wise?

I gave him some of the bullets that I had purchased.

A buddy with a 7mm RUM wants to try them. Does anybody have some suggestions for a starting load powder and weight wise?

I gave him some of the bullets that I had purchased.

I would start about 5 grains below start load for a 180 in the 7stw or rum with a powder in the rl33 range. I'm at 79 rl33 with the 195 and the 7stw was eating 84-85 rl33 with 171-180 bullets on the last barrel.
Stay slow and safe on the run up. you've got enough bc that a bit milder load will still be great when you put it down range. I would aim for 3,000 fps or so with your 7rum with the 195. I may play with my 7rum with this pill to see where she actually lands; I've got a stock remmy bbl. on that pipe though at 9 and change twist so it will likely be academic at best with the 180 sierra still being the best lr pill for the rifle.

Dan Glover of Dan's Custom Guns was able to get 3150 fps and under 1/2 MOA using rl 33 with the 195 in a 7 RUM with a 28 inch barrel.

I was able to get 3000 fps in a 28 Nosler with a 26 inch barrel using rl 33.

Dan Glover of Dan's Custom Guns was able to get 3150 fps and under 1/2 MOA using rl 33 with the 195 in a 7 RUM with a 28 inch barrel.

I was able to get 3000 fps in a 28 Nosler with a 26 inch barrel using rl 33.

Out of curiosity, what twist rate was Dan using in that RUM? And yourself with the 28-Nosler??

Last edited:
1 in 8.5. Dan is currently building a 30 inch 7 RUM for me to shoot specifically this bullet. I had an 8.5 twist waiting for 2 years for this project. Upon inputting the newly released bullet specifications for the 195s into the Berger Twist Rate Calculator, I have switched barrels to a 1 in 8 twist. The low elevation where I live necessitated the increased twist rate to optimize the SG at 1.5. See Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

1 in 8.5. Dan is currently building a 30 inch 7 RUM for me to shoot specifically this bullet. I had an 8.5 twist waiting for 2 years for this project. Upon inputting the newly released bullet specifications for the 195s into the Berger Twist Rate Calculator, I have switched barrels to a 1 in 8 twist. The low elevation where I live necessitated the increased twist rate to optimize the SG at 1.5. See Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

I'm in a similar boat, already been shooting my 8-twist though (waiting) for this bullet.. I've posted numerous occasions regarding my barrel & other bullets but have been very curious to see whether 8 is actually what will be needed for the 195... good to hear initial reports leaning toward an 8-twist barrel, perfect

If only we would see more of these bullets hit the market to allow the rest of us to try.. 3150 in a RUM is promising to me-- my rifle is a 7.21 firebird. I'd expect all of 3150 out of mine. Right on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 64
I've settled in at 2850fps using 68.6 grains of H1000. I've coated the bullet with hBN and seated them 0.010 from the lands. My measurement to the ogive using my Hornady comparator is 2.765". The ES at this load was 10. I am using Federal 215M primers in Nosler brass. My last 4 shot group was under 1/2".

I tried loads up to 70.4 grains (>2910fps), but the ES was growing.

-David

I've settled in at 2850fps using 68.6 grains of H1000. I've coated the bullet with hBN and seated them 0.010 from the lands. My measurement to the ogive using my Hornady comparator is 2.765". The ES at this load was 10. I am using Federal 215M primers in Nosler brass. My last 4 shot group was under 1/2".

-David
that sounds pretty dang good.... do you have a 7RM or a 7/300?

-David
that sounds pretty dang good.... do you have a 7RM or a 7/300?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.