Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

OK,

I just did a quick velocity test (Magneto Speed) only for the 195s in a 28 Nosler with a 26 inch barrel using Rl 33.

I started with 82 grains and ended with a slight ejector mark at 87 grains. The velocity started at 2844 topped out at 3040 fps. Use caution as each rifle is different.

I was only 5 thousands off the lands. Keep in mind I live at about 30 ft. elevation and it is 85 degrees and very humid. I did not push beyond the faint ejector mark as I am a little guarded about the RL 33 and how it may or may not exhibit pressure.

I ran the 195 berger up with rl33 today. I am using ww 7mmstw brass and 215 primers at 3.900" oal. (69 thou. off jamb). There is still room in the case so I may try 50bmg or rl50 to see if I can get a full case at pressure.

I started at 75 grains rl33 and topped at 81 grains rl33 with no ejector marks at any charge; however the bolt lift was a bit stiff at 81 and the accuracy seemed to fall off.
The 79 grain charge seemed to be the best, but I'll walk her between 78 and 80 grains to see if there is any real improvement at any of the charges.

At present with no tweaking of the load every group until 81 grains was sub moa with the 79 grain charge holding .65 moa and the 75 grain charge holding a bit over .5 moa (not 100% sure on this as I lost a bullet just off paper). Not bad performance considering I was on borrowed sandbags and the mirage was a solid 1/4 moa on its own.

OK,

I just did a quick velocity test (Magneto Speed) only for the 195s in a 28 Nosler with a 26 inch barrel using Rl 33.

I started with 82 grains and ended with a slight ejector mark at 87 grains. The velocity started at 2844 topped out at 3040 fps. Use caution as each rifle is different.

I was only 5 thousands off the lands. Keep in mind I live at about 30 ft. elevation and it is 85 degrees and very humid. I did not push beyond the faint ejector mark as I am a little guarded about the RL 33 and how it may or may not exhibit pressure.

Interesting. How much empty space would you estimate was left in the case with the 87 grain load? Maybe RL50 is more in-line with your 100+ gr H20 capacity and these monster bullets.

With your 26" tube I have to believe 3100+ is reachable with top loads and the right double-base powder.

I ran the 195 berger up with rl33 today. I am using ww 7mmstw brass and 215 primers at 3.900" oal. (69 thou. off jamb). There is still room in the case so I may try 50bmg or rl50 to see if I can get a full case at pressure.

I started at 75 grains rl33 and topped at 81 grains rl33 with no ejector marks at any charge; however the bolt lift was a bit stiff at 81 and the accuracy seemed to fall off.
The 79 grain charge seemed to be the best, but I'll walk her between 78 and 80 grains to see if there is any real improvement at any of the charges.

At present with no tweaking of the load every group until 81 grains was sub moa with the 79 grain charge holding .65 moa and the 75 grain charge holding a bit over .5 moa (not 100% sure on this as I lost a bullet just off paper). Not bad performance considering I was on borrowed sandbags and the mirage was a solid 1/4 moa on its own.

I think you're right about that (in bold).

The 28 Nosler throated for a 3.7 COAL should make 3000-3150 pretty easy.

Fred,
I seated the 195 gr bullet to 3.700" COAL and looks like at that seating depth you will have 100% use of case capacity in the 28 Nosler ! 3200 fps should be good to go !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 79
I bet Swamplords throat would be about ideal for 195's. I got mine ordered so I will verify things when I get them.

My version is a 35* shoulder but it sounds just about the same as yours Swamplord. Did you lengthen the neck or keep it with the same shoulder/body dimension and then neck it down?

The 7mm Long Range Hunter has a 37* shoulder, .587" snug at the web to retain primer pockets with more firings and .573" at the top of body, Being a dedicated "Hunting" wildcat I wanted a bit of taper for flawless extraction and reliable feeding from Accurate Mags ..... It works !!!
The 180 gr Berger Target Hybrid coal I used to establish the throat was with bullet shank bottomed out at neck/shoulder junction with only the boat tail in the case where normally is air space/shoulder area ...
I knew the 195 will be a bit longer and left it at that figuring It's a good idea to have some reserve shank to chase the rifling ......

My guess was pretty close and this Is what occurs in the 7mm LRH with the 195 gr Elite Hunter ........

Necked down 338 Norma Mag cases then COW banged in chamber come out with a .300" no turn neck length and case h20 capacity to top of case mouth is 108.5 gr average for 20 random cases out of 100 fire formed, with neck cut off completely at top of shoulder case yields 103.5 gr h20 capacity, Will probably see another .5 gr case cap increase after fully formed with actual loads ..

Cartridge OAL with the 195's is 3.530" with light contact on rifling .....
Bullet projection past case mouth is 1.055"
Bullet length inside case is .575" with .275" past neck/shoulder junction
Out of the .275" is boat tail at .196" leaving a full bullet diameter shank of .079" past the neck/shoulder junction, allowing for chasing rifling and still have 100% use of case capacity available ... Bear in mind I developed this to also run the Alco 208 gr RBT ULD ST bullets which will seat deeper due to their long shank/bearing surface and short ogive ........ This throat design will also work on the custom CB 226 gr RBT ULD ST bullets without drastically impacting powder space .....

I currently do not have actual reloading dies but will start load development by using my short 500 Jeffery/Monster wildcat case forming die with a .284 bushing to size neck to accept bullet and what I've found is the Hornady 7mm-08 seating die has ID body dimensions big enough to take 3/4 of the case perfectly centered without altering fired case, the Hornady seating die style of seating stem is surprisingly perfect for the 195 and 180 Bergers and allows me to seat bullets with no runout ....
This attemp may not yield the accuracy that actual dies will but will allow me to load some ammunition for Magnetospeed velocity data collection .....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 102
For anyone who is interested in how these load in a chamber with the throat set for the 180 hybrids. My 195 hybrids are seating .067 deeper in the case than the 180 hybrids with the lots that I have. Looks like Swamplord is .079 deeper. So I'd say a round figure to expect is .070-.080 deeper than the 180 hybrids.

Darren

Any velocity data?

For anyone who is interested in how these load in a chamber with the throat set for the 180 hybrids. My 195 hybrids are seating .067 deeper in the case than the 180 hybrids with the lots that I have. Looks like Swamplord is .079 deeper. So I'd say a round figure to expect is .070-.080 deeper than the 180 hybrids.

Darren

Any idea as to how much powder capacity you expect to lose with the change in depth? Is it worth having a special reamer made or would you let it ride with it throated for the hybrid?

Last edited:
[/QUOTE ]

I currently do not have actual reloading dies but will start load development by using my short 500 Jeffery/Monster wildcat case forming die with a .284 bushing to size neck to accept bullet and what I've found is the Hornady 7mm-08 seating die has ID body dimensions big enough to take 3/4 of the case perfectly centered without altering fired case, the Hornady seating die style of seating stem is surprisingly perfect for the 195 and 180 Bergers and allows me to seat bullets with no runout ....
This attemp may not yield the accuracy that actual dies will but will allow me to load some ammunition for Magnetospeed velocity data collection .....[/QUOTE]

I've been using Hornady seater and neck dies like that for years.on wildcats. If you get a longer set of dies like a 7rm or 7stw you would get the whole case in the die.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.